The Pittsburgh Pirates open their season at PNC Park for the just the second time in the last seven years and only the fourth time in the park's 12-year history. The team plays host to their intrastate rivals, the Philadelphia Phillies for a quick three-game series before departing for a nine-game west coast road trip. This marks just the seventh time in Pirates history the two teams have opened the regular season together and the Pirates hold a 6-0 edge over the Phillies in Opening Day games. The three-game opening weekend homestand is highlighted by Zambelli fireworks on Saturday, April 7 and Pirate Parrot Build-A-Bear Day on Sunday, April 8.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012—Pre-season Workout (3:00 p.m.)
• Pirates Workout: From 3-5:00 p.m. the Pirates first workout of 2012 at PNC Park will be open FREE to the public. The Highmark Legacy Square Gates (located in left field off General Robinson Street) will open to the general public beginning at 2:30 p.m. Sections 1 to 138 will be accessible for fans to view the home team's batting practice and fielding drills and select concession stands will be open.
Thursday, April 5, 2012—Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies (1:35 p.m.) Opening Day Presented by PNC Bank
• Magnetic Schedule Day: All fans in attendance receive Pirates 2012 Magnetic Schedule compliments of PNC Bank.
• Opening Day Events: All fans are invited to take part in Opening Day at PNC Park presented by PNC as there will be free events along Federal Street. PNC Park gates will open to ALL FANS at 11:30 a.m.
• Fan of the Game: Sister Mary Bride Diamond, a member of the Pittsburgh's Sisters of Charity for over 59 years will be honored today as the Pirates Fan of the Game. Her one "bucket list" item is to be on the field at PNC surrounded by the Pirates, her favorite team.
• Color Guard: Representatives of the United States Military, including members who have recently returned home from serving our country overseas will present the colors before today's game.
• First Pitch: Representing the Wounded Warriors Project-- a non-profit group that works tirelessly on behalf of wounded servicemen and women-- is Pittsburgh's own, Jeremy Feldbusch who was injured during a tour of duty in Iraq. Feldbusch, an Army Ranger, was injured when his unit came under fire and an I.E.D. exploded causing him to lose his sight. He will be a special guest of Pirates Chairman of the Board, Bob Nutting.
Friday, April 6, 2012— Off Date
Saturday, April 7, 2012—Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies (7:05 p.m.)
• Zambelli Fireworks Night: Fans are encouraged to stay in their seats immediately following the game and enjoy an amazing fireworks display over PNC Park presented by Zambelli Fireworks Internationale, courtesy of Trib Total Media.
• Scratch and Win: All fans with paid admission will receive a scratch-and-win ticket, sponsored by Eat'n Park.
• Saturday Raffles: Once again the Pirates Charities Saturday Raffles will be held in-stadium throughout the 2012 regular season. The raffle location is outside of the main Guest Relations office behind section 117. Fans can purchase raffle tickets to win prizes including Pirates memorabilia, original artwork, gift certificates and more! Raffle tickets are one for $2 or three for $5 with all proceeds benefitting Pirates Charities. The prize drawing takes place at the end of the 7th inning
Sunday, April 8, 2012—Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies (1:35 p.m.) Kids Day
• Pirate Parrot Build-A-bear Day: All fans ages 14 and under will receive a Pirates Parrot Build-A-Bear doll compliments of Highmark.
• Kids Day: Come down early and join the fun as the Family Fun Zone will be open on Federal Street from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Lined up outside PNC will be inflatable rides, face painting, information about the Buccaroos Kids Club and more.
• Kids Run the Bases: Kids attending today's game are invited to stick around after to run the bases on the field at PNC, courtesy of H.K. Anderson Pretzels.
Wins for Kids
During the 2012 season, the Pirates will again partner with manager Clint Hurdle, his wife Karla and ROOT SPORTS to present the Wins for Kids fundraising campaign. The campaign encourages fans to donate a dollar amount for every Pirates win during the season. All funds raised will benefit Pirates Charities and the Children's Institute of Pittsburgh's Prader-Willi Syndrome Program. For more information about the Wins for Kids and to learn how to make a donation, visit pirates.com/winsforkids.
Second Annual 5K Home Run & One Mile Family Fun Run, Presented by DiBella's Subs
The second annual Pirates Charities 5K Home Run will take place on Saturday, April 21. The morning event will take place on Pittsburgh's North Shore, starting on Federal Street and finishing inside PNC Park. The race is open to fans of all ages and abilities with the top finishers from each category being recognized in a pre-game on-field ceremony before that night's game. Families may also participate by taking part in the One Mile Family Fun Run presented by DiBella's Subs. To register or obtain complete race details, fans can log onto pirates.com/5Khomerun.
Pedal for Pirates Charities Presented by Highmark
On Saturday, May 12 cycling enthusiasts are invited to join Pirates Charities for a 100-bike outdoor stationary cycling event on Federal Street to raise money for Pirates Charities and the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh's "Building Bridges" campaign. The event takes place from 1:00-5:00 p.m. and participants can "buy" a bike for the entire length of the event ($200) or "rent" a bike by the hour ($50). Local instructors will lead this non-competitive event prior to that night's 7:05 p.m. game vs. the Houston Astros and participants will receive a game ticket, a commemorative towel and more. For complete information and to register for the event, fans can visit pirates.com/pedal.
Bowling with the Bucs is Back
The popular Pirates Charities event, Bowling with the Bucs will take place on Saturday, May 6 at Legacy Lanes in Baldwin. Pitchers Joel Hanrahan and Chris Resop will host the event that is a unique opportunity for fans to bowl with their favorite Pirates celebrities and raise money for Pirates Charities. For complete information and to register for the event, fans can visit pirates.com/bowling.
Fantasy Baseball Math Opening Day
Wednesday, April 11 marks opening day for Fantasy Baseball Math, presented by Pirates Charities and Pirates GM Neal Huntington and his wife Becca, at selected Boys & Girls Club sites and five schools within the Diocese of Pittsburgh. The program is a comprehensive curriculum-based program that teaches children math skills using baseball statistics. This program aligns with Common Core Standards for math and promotes higher order science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) skills in preparation for math-based careers. The April 11 Opening Day event marks the beginning of the students' elimination-style tournaments which will culminate in a "World Series" at PNC Park on June 9. Becca Huntington will join the Pirate Parrot at the La Rosa Boys and Girls Club in McKeesport on April 11 to visit with students and help them kick off the festivities.
MLB Jackie Robinson Day
On Sunday, April 15 all players will be wearing number 42 jerseys in honor of Jackie Robinson, marking the 65th anniversary of the day when baseball's color barrier was broken. One number 42 jersey from each club will be autographed by all of its players and coaches and auctioned on mlb.com with proceeds benefitting the Jackie Robinson Foundation.
Take the "T"
New for all 81 games in 2012, fans coming to PNC Park are now able to take advantage of the FREE Light Rail Transit (or "T") service that will significantly enhance the experience for fans coming to and leaving the ballpark. Fans can now park at the First Avenue Garage, the Mellon Garage and many other garages in the downtown area for as low as $5 and ride the "T" to the doorstep of PNC Park for free. Also, fans who prefer to park in the lots west of Allegheny Avenue, can now ride the "T" free from the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field to the North Side Station on the doorstep of PNC Park's Home Plate Gate Entrance.
Dynamic Pricing Section
New for 2012, the Pirates unveiled dynamic pricing system for the Bleacher General Admission section at PNC. Tickets for the 1,400 seat section, located in left field, will be placed on sale 10-days prior to each home game. The initial ticket price will then be adjusted- both lower and higher- in real time, based on several factors. For the complete list of games and to find the on-sale dates, visit pirates.com/dynamic.
H.K Anderson All You Can Eat Seats
The popular All You Can Eat Seats are available for all Pirates 2012 home games. For just $38 fans can enjoy all the hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, salads, popcorn, peanuts, peanut butter filled pretzels, ice cream and soda they can eat for one low price! The tickets are located in the Outfield Reserved Seats in sections 145-147 and dedicated "All You Can Eat" concession stands can be found on the Riverwalk for a "speed line" approach. For more information and to order tickets fans can visit pirates.com/allyoucaneat.
Pup Nights at PNC Presented by Dad's Pet Care
The 2012 season features eight Pup Nights at PNC Park with the first scheduled for Tuesday, April 24 vs. the Colorado Rockies. Each ticket package (1 person & 1 dog) costs just $25 with additional human tickets available for $25 each. A portion of the proceeds benefit local animal shelters and seats are limited and subject to availability. For complete information and to order tickets fans can visit pirates.com/pups.
Beer Passport at PNC
Fans can take advantage of one of the most unique opportunities in sports as the Pirates introduce Beer Passport at PNC. There are six nights scheduled throughout the 2012 season for this event starting with the Saturday, April 21 game vs. the World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.
For just $45 fans will receive:
• An exclusive Pittsburgh Baseball Club ticket (regularly priced at $50)
• A $5 loaded value on their game ticket good for food, drinks or merchandise inside PNC Park
• An invitation to a 90-minute beer sampling event that begins when gates open at 5:30 p.m.
For a complete schedule of nights and more information fans can visit pirates.com/beerpassport.
*Available through advance purchases only and subject to availability.
**Must be 21 years or older to participate in the beer sampling - proper identification required.
Pirates Season Ticket Plans
Full Season, 41-game, 20-game and 10-game season ticket plans are available for the 2012 season. Full and partial-season ticket plans feature exclusive benefits including guaranteed seats for the biggest games, discounted ticket prices, invitations to special season ticket holder events featuring Pirates players and executives, plus much more. For more information regarding purchasing a season ticket plan, call 1-800-BUY-BUCS or visit pirates.com/tickets.
2012 Fan Values
• The Pirates are pleased to offer special ticket prices for all 81 home games for kids ages 14 and younger in select sections of PNC Park. Save up to $7 on kid's single game tickets, visit pirates.com/tickets for more details.
• Every Sunday home game is a Giant Eagle Advantage Card game as fans can save up to $10 on select tickets to every Sunday home game, visit pirates.com/advantagecard for complete details.
• Select games throughout the 2012 season are PNC Bank Check Card games as fans can save up to $10 on select tickets, visit pirates.com/pnccheckcard for complete details.
For a complete list of the 2012 Pirates promotions and special events, visit pirates.com/promotions.