CINCINNATI -- Reds third baseman Juan Francisco was robbed at gunpoint on Tuesday in his native Dominican Republic, according to reports from that country. Francisco, who was playing winter ball for the Licey club in the Dominican, was unharmed in the attack. "Juan lives in an apartment here in the capital [Santo Domingo], but [Tuesday] night after the game, he wanted to visit his parents in Bonao and was robbed at gunpoint," Licey's GM, Fernando Ravelo, told the Associated Press. "But he wasn't hurt. "
The AP report noted that Francisco was robbed in Villa Altagracia, which is about 60 kilometers from Santo Domingo, while he stopped to eat. It is believed that there were four assailants who robbed Francisco. According to the Licey club's web site, Francisco reported that four individuals wearing vests with police logos stopped the Cadillac vehicle he was driving with a friend. Both men did what they were told by the gunmen and surrendered their belongings, which had an estimated value of 400,000 pesos (or over $10,000 U.S.). Among the items were a 9-mm pistol, a chain, all the music from the vehicle, four cell phones and the friend's wallet and all his identification. This is the second violent incident to happen to a Major League ballplayer recently in Latin America. Last week, Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos was the victim of a kidnapping at gunpoint in front of his mother's home in Venezuela. The ordeal lasted two days before Ramos was rescued uninjured by Venezuelan police commandos. Francisco, 24, spent most of the 2011 season at Triple-A Louisville, but played 31 games in two stints with the Reds. He batted .258 with three home runs and 15 RBIs.