• Dress for October: Get NL West champs gear
The 25-year-old Locastro, a 13th-round pick by Toronto in 2013, was 34 of 41 in stolen-base attempts this year between Double-A Tulsa and Triple-A Oklahoma City. In five Minor League seasons, he has 143 steals. He also hit a combined .308 with an .837 OPS. The Dodgers acquired Locastro and pitcher Chase DeJong in 2015 for three international bonus pool slots.
"To have him active gives us the potential to have a burner off the bench in the postseason. He's an option," said Roberts, who helped get the Red Sox to the World Series in 2004 with a dramatic stolen base in Game 4 of the American League Championship Series. "He can artificially create situations to get on base, to steal a base, a defensive replacement. As we talked through the postseason and the 25th guy, just that option makes sense."
Locastro, whose Minor League season ended Sept. 4, has been home in Auburn, N.Y., working out occasionally with no clue that he might be playing in October until he received a phone call on Thursday from Dodgers director of player development Gabe Kapler asking if he had any plans this weekend.
"It's the last thing I thought," said Locastro. "I was given no indication at the time [the season ended], so yesterday it was a shock, but I couldn't be happier. I'm playing with the house's money right now, so I'm going to go out there and steal some bases. I got this opportunity, so I've got to take advantage of it."
Roberts said club officials began thinking of a pinch-runner over the last week, "so we just finally decided to pull the trigger. Now you get down to the wire and look at potential holes you do have. We just felt now's the time."
Ken Gurnick has covered the Dodgers since 1989, and for MLB.com since 2001. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.