The Pittsburgh Pirates today released its 2018 regular season schedule, which will feature the Bucs opening the season in Detroit for three games beginning on Thursday, March 29. The Pirates start the season with back-to-back Interleague series as the team returns to Pittsburgh for the Home Opener at PNC Park on Monday, April 2 vs. the Minnesota Twins.
This will mark the second straight season the Pirates have opened on the road with interleague play as well as the second time in four seasons the home fans will have the opportunity to watch the Pirates play an American League team in the Home Opener (Detroit in 2015).
Following the first homestand of the season against Minnesota and the Cincinnati Reds, the Pirates will play 10 of their next 13 games on the road from April 9-22, with a quick three-game homestand during the stretch coming against the Colorado Rockies from April 16-18.
The home portion of Pittsburgh's 2018 interleague schedule will also feature visits by the Tigers from April 24-26, Chicago White Sox on May 15-16 and Kansas City Royals from September 17-19.
Highlights of the 2018 regular season schedule include:
- May 25 thru May 30: The Pirates host National League Central rivals, St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs, including a 1:35 p.m. Memorial Day game against the Cubs on Monday, May 28.
- June 15 thru June 24: A 10-game homestand against the Reds, Milwaukee Brewers and Arizona Diamondbacks.
- July 6 thru July 15: A 10-game homestand against the Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Nationals and Brewers leading up to the 2018 All-Star break.
- July 26 thru July 29: The Pirates host former N.L. East rival, the New York Mets, for a four-game weekend series.
- Weekends in August: August heats up as the Pirates are scheduled for weekend clashes with N.L. Central rivals, the St. Louis Cardinals (August 3-5) and the Chicago Cubs (August 16-19).
- September 17 thru September 23: A six-game homestand to closes out the home portion of the schedule against Kansas City and Milwaukee.
The entire 2018 schedule can be found at pirates.com/schedule.
All dates, times and opponents are subject to change.