Fulmer recalled to Majors as rosters expand

Lefty reliever Holmberg brought up to White Sox for September

Fulmer recalled to Majors as rosters expand

CHICAGO -- Carson Fulmer, the No. 11 White Sox prospect according to MLBPipeline.com, was one of two September callups made prior to Friday's series opener with the Rays at Guaranteed Rate Field. Left-hander David Holmberg also was added to the roster from Triple-A Charlotte.

Fulmer allowed six runs in 1 1/3 innings in a 10-2 loss to the Twins on Aug. 21 as the 26th man getting the start in Game 2 of a doubleheader before returning to Charlotte. He also posted a 7-9 record with a 5.79 ERA over 25 starts this season for the Knights, stats below the level of success he has grown accustomed to. But that didn't dampen Fulmer's confidence.

"I had a really good start [to the season]. I kind of had a couple of rough patches in the middle of the year. I think I've been pitching pretty well," Fulmer said. "I feel like I've been executing the way I've been wanting to. I'm ready to have success here and capture the opportunity."

"We thought it was important to get Carson back here to get him working with [pitching coach Don Cooper] and [bullpen coach Curt Hasler]," White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said. "We felt getting him more innings over the course of the 2017 season [in the Minors] and then again getting tested at this level will benefit his development in the long term."

Hahn spoke of using Fulmer in a variety of different ways over the final month of the season, mixing bullpen work with a potential start or two. The White Sox have Tuesday's starter against Cleveland listed as TBA, which could turn into Fulmer.

"Anything that we can do to continue to help him improve and still fit some of the roles that we'll need moving forward over the last month of the season," White Sox manager Rick Renteria said of his plans for Fulmer. "It will hopefully be a good time for him to be here with us."

"You want to come here and you want to do well and help us win," Fulmer said. "That's the main thing; slowing things down and really just try to get as much experience as I can."

Moncada on the mend

Don't expect Yoan Moncada, baseball's No. 1 prospect according to MLBPipeline.com, to come off the disabled list when he is eligible on Monday. The second baseman has been sidelined by a bone contusion on his right shin.

"He's starting baseball activities over the course of this weekend," Hahn said. "Hopefully some point over the course of this homestand, we will be able to set a date when he's going to be ready."

The same can be said of Nicky Delmonico, who was placed on the DL on Aug. 26 with a sprained right wrist.

"I also don't think we are going to activate him right when he's eligible," Hahn said. "Hopefully over the course of this homestand, we will be able to get him back active, too."

More to come?

Another couple Minor League additions could be joining the White Sox after the Charlotte and Double-A Birmingham seasons come to a close. Both clubs conclude on Sept. 4.

Scott Merkin has covered the White Sox for MLB.com since 2003. Read his blog, Merk's Works, follow him on Twitter @scottmerkin, on Facebook and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.