Feldman aiming for Saturday return to rotation

Mesoraco placed on paternity list; reliever Brice recalled

Feldman aiming for Saturday return to rotation

CINCINNATI -- If all goes well without setbacks, injured Reds starting pitcher Scott Feldman could rejoin the rotation in five days. Feldman, who has been on the 10-day disabled list since July 18 because of right knee inflammation, is aiming for a return on Saturday.

When Robert Stephenson was placed on the DL and scratched from his start Monday, Tim Adleman stepped in vs. the Padres. On Saturday, the Reds will be facing the Brewers when that spot comes around again.

"I'm getting really anxious to get back out there. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. I'm going to keep working hard," Feldman said on Monday afternoon.

The Reds aren't concerned about Feldman's arm after his bullpen sessions and a three-inning simulated game on Wednesday. But he has to show that he can put full pressure on his knee pitching, pivoting and running.

"We're trying to set goals for Scott that are achievable," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "Five days from now, is that achievable to be agile enough to do the things he needs to do, field his position, cover first base, run bases? Only time will tell. That right now is the carrot that's being dangled, but there's no guarantee that he'll be ready to do that. We'll see."

With a 7-7 record and 4.34 ERA in 19 outings, Feldman had been one of the more dependable starters in Cincinnati's rotation this season. On July 17 vs. the Nationals, he lasted one inning and struggled as his knee soreness prevented him from going deeper into the start.

Feldman has reported feeling much better since going on the DL and has been running on the pool treadmill, among other drills. But the big things that remain are pitchers' fielding drills and running the bases.

"Hopefully the next few days go pretty good and they're comfortable having me out there," Feldman said. "I just have to make sure I can go from first to home on a single or double or something like that."

Mesoraco on paternity list

The Reds placed catcher Devin Mesoraco on the paternity list Monday, which means he will be out for three days to be present for the birth of his first child. Reliever Austin Brice was recalled to replace Mesoraco on the 25-man roster.

Similar moves could be coming soon for the Reds. Their two other catchers -- Tucker Barnhart and Stuart Turner -- and third baseman Eugenio Suarez are also close to becoming fathers. The club currently has no other catchers on its 40-man roster.

"All sorts of babies," Price said. "I don't know if our non-roster catchers in the organization are thrilled to death thinking they might have an opportunity to come up and play this year. We'll be without Devin for sounds like the next three days, and hope that we can work out the timing so we always have two available catchers."

Mark Sheldon has covered the Reds for MLB.com since 2006, and previously covered the Twins from 2001-05. Follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon and Facebook and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.