Colorado Rockies recall right-handed pitchers Shane Carle and Carlos Estévez
The Colorado Rockies announced today that they have recalled right-handed pitchers Shane Carle and Carlos Estévez, have placed left-handed pitcher Kyle Freeland on the 10-day disabled list (left groin strain) and have optioned right-handed pitcher Scott Oberg to Triple-A. Additionally, right-handed pitcher Chad Bettis was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list yesterday (testicular cancer treatment) and optioned to Triple-A.
- Carle, 25, will be making his second stint on the Major League roster … was recalled April 14 and made his Major League debut that night in San Francisco … pitched one scoreless inning with one strikeout in his one appearance for the Rockies prior to his April 16 option to Triple-A … with Albuquerque this season, is 3-5 with a 6.05 ERA (55.0 IP, 37 ER), 21 walks and 44 strikeouts over 31 appearances, including three starts … originally acquired by Colorado from Pittsburgh via trade on Nov. 11, 2014 in exchange for right-handed pitcher Rob Scahill … in his Minor League career, is 27-29 with a 4.15 ERA (520.1 IP, 240 ER), 113 walks and 361 strikeouts across five seasons with Pittsburgh (2013-14) and Colorado (2015-17) affiliates.
- Estévez, 24, will be making his seventh stint on the Major League roster this season, including two recalls as the 26th roster player … has combined to go 4-0 with a 8.10 ERA (16.2 IP, 15 ER), six walks and 18 strikeouts in 18 games with Colorado … with Albuquerque this season, is 1-3 with a 1.65 ERA (27.1 IP, 5 ER), nine walks and 26 strikeouts … the Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic native made his Major League debut for Colorado on April 23, 2016 vs. Los Angeles-NL and has gone 7-7 with 11 saves and a 5.90 ERA (71.2 IP, 47 ER) with 34 walks and 77 strikeouts over 81 career appearances.
- Freeland, 24, was removed from the game in the first inning last night with a left groin strain … this is his first career placement on the disabled list … the Denver native made his first Opening Day roster this season and made his Major League debut in the Rockies' home opener, April 7 vs. Los Angeles-NL … is 11-7 with a 3.70 ERA (121.2 IP, 50 ER), 44 walks and 77 strikeouts across 21 starts and one relief appearance … among Major League rookie pitchers, ranks first in wins (11), innings pitched (121.2) and ERA among qualifiers (3.70).
- Oberg, 27, made his first career Opening Day roster this season and has gone 0-1 with a 5.91 ERA (42.2 IP, 28 ER), 18 walks and 40 strikeouts in 49 relief appearances … in his career with Colorado, he is 4-6 with two saves and a 5.39 ERA (127.0 IP, 76 ER), 60 walks and 104 strikeouts.
- Bettis, 28, was diagnosed with testicular cancer last offseason and was placed on the 60-day disabled list on March 26 to continue treatment … has made five rehab appearances (four starts) across Double-A and Triple-A, and is 0-2 with a 4.91 ERA (18.1 IP, 10 ER), seven walks and 15 strikeouts … in his career with Colorado, is 23-19 with a 5.01 ERA (370.1 IP, 206 ER), 131 walks and 279 strikeouts across parts of four seasons with the Rockies since his Major League debut in 2013.