An SI.com report on Sept. 7 implicated Glaus, alleging that he received shipments of nandrolone -- an anabolic steroid -- and testosterone earlier in his career at an address that corresponds with his California address. Those substances were banned by MLB in 2003, when drug testing began at the big league level on a survey basis only.
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball concluded its investigation of Glaus, along with a handful of other players, and it "determined that, with respect to each player, there was insufficient evidence of a violation of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program in effect at the time of the conduct in question."
Mets reliever, and former Blue Jay, Scott Schoeneweis, Angels outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. and Cardinals outfielder Rick Ankiel also avoided suspensions. But Baltimore's Jay Gibbons and Kansas City's Jose Guillen were each hit with 15-day suspensions for violation of MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
The report that named Glaus cited anonymous sources, which told SI.com reporters that the supplements allegedly received by the third baseman came from a Florida pharmacy and were processed through an anti-aging clinic in California.
Glaus, who captured the World Series Most Valuable Player honor for the Angels in 2002, reportedly received the shipments between late '03 and early '04. The report indicated, however, that receipts only showed that the substances were sent to the address.
The supplements were reportedly obtained through the New Hope Health Center in California, which advertises the sale of anabolic steroids and human growth hormone on its Web site. HGH was banned by baseball in 2005, when the drug policy was expanded, and punitive penalties went into effect for a player testing positive for the first time.
The prescription reportedly obtained by Glaus was then sent through Orlando, Fla.-based Signature Pharmacy, which has been targeted by Albany County (N.Y.) prosecutors as part of their steroids investigation. A release by MLB on Thursday indicated that other open investigations by the Commissioner's Office should be completed soon.
The report about Glaus came out while the Blue Jays were in Florida to play the Rays, and the third baseman appeared visibly upset as he addressed the issue with reporters. Glaus declined comment and hasn't discussed the allegations publicly since.
"I'm not going to comment on the story at this time," Glaus said at the time. "I respect the fact that you have a job to do and you certainly have questions. I'm not going to comment and I hope you respect that at this time."
Glaus met with Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi privately, and he later sat down with MLB officials to discuss the matter. Ricciardi openly supported Glaus after the report came out, and he said he felt the player's explanation was adequate.
"That conversation was really private between him and I," Ricciardi said in September. "I'm not going to really share anything with you guys, but I felt like what he told me is fine. It's not my place to pass judgment.
"We just wanted to let him know that we're here for him and we support him. He's a Blue Jay, and we're not going to turn our back on him because of allegations."
Glaus, 31, is under contract for $12.75 million in 2008 and he has a player option worth $11.25 million for '09. Glaus, who was acquired by Toronto in a trade with Arizona prior to the 2006 season, hit .262 with 20 home runs and 62 RBIs in 115 games last season.
Glaus underwent season-ending surgery on his left foot in September -- shortly after the SI.com report surfaced. Glaus, who battled plantar fasciitis in his foot all season long, is expected to be ready to open next season with the Blue Jays.
Jordan Bastian is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.