D-backs to be honored as Corporation of the Year by the Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
The Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (AZHCC) will honor the Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks @LosDbacks) as its 2017 Corporation of the Year at the 59th Annual Black & White Ball and Business Awards this Saturday night at 6 p.m. at the Arizona Grand Resort.
"It is an incredible honor to be recognized for the team's efforts in the Hispanic community," said D-backs President & CEO Derrick Hall. "As longtime supporters of the Arizona Hispanic Chamber and its great work, we are proud to stand alongside local businesses and all those who call Arizona home."
"The D-backs are a major economic driver in our community, and we're proud to honor the team not just for its business acumen, but all that they do for our community," said Gonzalo A. de la Melena, Jr., president and CEO of the Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
The D-backs have placed a renewed focus on connecting authentically with the Hispanic community over the past several seasons with numerous new programs and initiatives, including:
- La Terraza, open every weekend at Chase Field where fans can enjoy a Latin vibe in the Upper Right Field Concourse that includes specialized décor, music and authentic regional foods from local favorites such as El Guero Canelo and La Carreta de Lily
- Los D-backs Fiestas, which take place outside Chase Field on numerous games throughout the season, including the annual Hispanic Heritage Day, to be held on Sept. 9, 2017 when the team will once again wear "Los D-backs" jerseys
- Monthly news conferences with the team's Spanish-speaking players held in their native language and streamed live to their home countries and around the world
- La Cueva de Los D-backs, the monthly magazine in Spanish, focuses on the team's players and the Hispanic community. The free publication is available at Chase Field and at various businesses in Arizona, Mexico and online
- Los D-backs y en nuestra comunidad Hispana. La revista está disponible gratis en Chase Field, en varios negocios en Arizona y México, y por internet.
- Three consecutive years being named to the AZHCC's Million Dollar Circle of Excellence, which recognizes exceptional efforts in the area of supplier diversity by honoring those who spend more than $1 million in Arizona with Minority/Women-owned businesses
- The D-backs became the first team in MLB to place accents on all of their Latino players' jerseys in 2015, which has since been instituted throughout the entire league and highlighted by the MLB's "Ponle Acento" campaign
- Twenty-five games are aired in Spanish on FOX Sports Arizona Plus each season while all 162 games are aired on radio through the team's new partnership with Univision Deportes Radio (KHOV 105.1), as well as four stations throughout Sonora, Mexico and Tucson.
- Annual Dia de los Niños celebration at Chase Field in which kids tickets are free
- The D-backs hosted the 2016 MLB Diversity Business Summit, leading to the team being named the Most Valuable Diverse Business Partner Award from Major League Baseball
The Black & White Ball is the Chamber's largest annual fundraiser and the state's longest running formal gala. It takes place 6 p.m. to midnight, May 6, at the Arizona Grand Resort, 8000 Grand Parkway in Phoenix. More than 1,200 business and community leaders from across the state are expected to attend. This year's theme is Frida and Diego: Art, Love and Life, a tribute to the artists Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. Cox Communications is the presenting sponsor of the gala, which is being held in collaboration with the Heard Museum.