On Friday, April 7, the Pittsburgh Pirates will host their 2017 Home Opener against the Atlanta Braves at 1:05 p.m. at PNC Park. Gates to PNC Park will open at 11 a.m. with pregame ceremonies scheduled to begin at approximately 12:30 p.m.
The following parking and traffic information will be helpful to those fans coming to the game, as well as downtown commuters.
- The Roberto Clemente Bridge will close to vehicular traffic beginning at 10 a.m. and will reopen to outgoing North Shore traffic only, 25 to 40 minutes following the final pitch of the game.
- All parking lots and garages on the North Shore are closed to commuter traffic.
- North Shore parking near PNC Park will open at 9 a.m. (with event rates).
The Pirates also strongly encourage all fans to download the iPhone "ParkPGH" app or visit m.parkpgh.org on mobile to check for downtown parking space availability throughout the season.
The Pirates strongly encourage fans, especially families, to arrive as early as possible as downtown parking and lots close to PNC Park will become filled early on Opening Day. Also, fans should allow additional time to enter PNC Park as all guests will be asked to walk through ballpark upright metal detectors.
In an effort to expedite the screening process, guests are asked to leave all unnecessary metal objects in their vehicles or at home.
FOR DOWNTOWN COMMUTERS AND FANS:
Commuters and fans are encouraged to ride transit the day of the Opener. Fans can utilize the free "T" service offered by the Port Authority from the four Golden Triangle stations, as well as the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field, to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park's Trib-Total Media Home Plate Gate.
For example, fans are encouraged to park at the PPG Paints Center lots and ride the "T" to the doorstep of PNC Park for free. Also, fans who prefer to park west of Allegheny Avenue, can ride the "T" for free from the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field to the North Side Station outside of PNC Park.
- PPG Paints Center in the Lower Hill District and nearby parking facilities
- Enter from Centre Avenue via I-579 or HOV.
- Free "T" -- Walk 2- blocks to the Steel Plaza Station and take the free "T" to PNC Park.
- Grant Street Transportation Center (near Convention Center) - Enter via Penn Avenue or 12th Street from the 10th Street bypass. Check for space availability via iPhone (ParkPGH); Mobile (m.parkpgh.org); SMS/Text and Voice (412-423-8980).
- Station Square, Gateway Clipper Shuttle Boats - The Gateway Clipper will take fans directly to PNC Park from this location. Children under turnstile height (30 inches) are free.
- Carnegie Science Lots - Fans can enter from Casino Drive and ride the free "T" from the Allegheny Station.
- Fulton Avenue Lot - This lot is located on the north side of the West End Bridge. Fans can ride the free "T" from the Allegheny Station.
FOR FANS OVER 21:
- Rivers Casino Garage ($40) - Parking is available in the Rivers Casino Garage. Due to Rivers Casino policy, everyone in the vehicle must be 21 years or older to enter the garage. Fans can ride the free "T" from the Allegheny Station or enjoy the walk to PNC Park via the River Walkway.