Lugo to get second opinion on sore right elbow

Mets righty to miss 'a couple weeks for sure,' according to manager Collins

Lugo to get second opinion on sore right elbow

NEW YORK -- Though Mets pitcher Seth Lugo opened the season on the disabled list due to right elbow inflammation, he described his symptoms as minimal. Doctors, according to Lugo, told him his MRI results actually came back cleaner than those of most healthy pitchers.

Still, Lugo said after Monday's 6-0 win over the Braves that he will seek a second medical opinion on his elbow Tuesday in New York. Manager Terry Collins indicated that Lugo will miss significant time, rather than return from the disabled list when eligible on April 10.

"It's going to be a couple weeks for sure," Collins said.

That comes in direct contrast to Lugo's comments early Monday, in which he downplayed the severity of the injury. At the time, Lugo said he hoped to begin a throwing program as soon as that morning.

"I never had any pain symptoms," Lugo said. "It was just tightness, and just didn't feel right to me. I took a little time to be sure, but I'm ready to go now."

Lugo, who pitched in the World Baseball Classic for Puerto Rico, said he experienced similar tightness in his elbow last year at Triple-A Las Vegas, and did not feel better until skipping a start.

Lugo was one of five Mets players to open the regular season on the DL, joining third baseman David Wright, starting pitcher Steven Matz, and outfielders Juan Lagares and Brandon Nimmo. Lugo, Wright and Matz were on hand Monday for Opening Day festivities.

Anthony DiComo has covered the Mets for MLB.com since 2008. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo and Facebook, and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.