PHOENIX -- The turnaround occurred quickly for the Giants and Mark Melancon following Sunday's 6-5 loss to the D-backs at Chase Field.
The Giants' closer had retired the first two batters he faced in the ninth inning, Brandon Drury and David Peralta. Surely Melancon, the $62-million man, would do exactly what the Giants obtained him to do, and seal the victory. But four consecutive base hits erased San Francisco's 5-4 lead.
"It's never fun to try to process these games," said Melancon, whose 131 saves in the last three seasons were the most in the Majors during that span. "But it's something that's part of the job. I'm sure I'll go over it 100 times and keep the good and get rid of the bad."
Melancon, who was unable to save just four of his 51 opportunities in 2016, said that he followed the scouting report on Arizona's hitters, but he didn't absolve himself from blame.
"I didn't execute as well as I wanted to," Melancon said, focusing particularly on Jeff Mathis' double that launched Arizona's rally and pinch-hitter Daniel Descalso's single that tied the score.
The collapse recalled the bullpen issues San Francisco endured last year, when relievers couldn't close out a franchise-high 30 games, and prompted Melancon's signing. But manager Bruce Bochy wasn't worried about his team feeling haunted.
"They're men in there," Bochy said. "I think you've seen how they've handled things. It's one game. We've got 161 [more] games. If we start thinking about this too much, that's going to compound the problem."
Madison Bumgarner, who bequeathed leads to a bullpen that squandered them last year, expressed confidence in Melancon.
"I know nobody's going to be afraid to run him out there Tuesday," Bumgarner said.
Chris Haft has covered the Giants since 2005, and for MLB.com since 2007. Follow him on Twitter at @sfgiantsbeat and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.