White Sox invite 19 players to Spring Training
The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts with the following eight free agents: infielders Cody Asche and Everth Cabrera, left-handed pitchers David Holmberg and Cory Luebke, catcher Roberto Pena, right-handed pitcher Blake Smith, catcher Geovany Soto and right-hander Anthony Swarzak.
All eight players, in addition to 11 others from within the organization, have received non-roster invites to the club's spring training camp in Glendale, Ariz.
Right-handed pitchers Spencer Adams, Zack Burdi, Michael Kopech, left-handers Aaron Bummer, Brian Clark, Jace Fry and Matt Purke, catcher Zack Collins, infielders Nicky Delmonico and Danny Hayes and outfielder Courtney Hawkins received invites to major-league camp from within the system. Four of the 19 invitees are rated among the club's Top 10 Prospects by Baseball America and MLB.com entering the 2017 season, while nine have major-league experience.
Pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Tuesday, February 14, including physicals and a workout. Position players will report and undergo physicals on Saturday, February 18. The first full-squad workout also will take place on the 18th.
The White Sox begin the 2017 Cactus League season on February 25 as the visiting team against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Camelback Ranch - Glendale. Chicago will play its first official home game on February 26 against Colorado.
Below is notable information for the White Sox 19 non-roster invitees:
- RHP Spencer Adams: Rated by MLB.com as the No. 7 Prospect and Baseball America as the No. 9 Prospect in the White Sox organization; selected in the second round of the 2014 draft.
- INF Cody Asche: Appeared in 371 games with Philadelphia from 2013-16; selected by the Phillies in the fourth round of the 2011 draft.
- LHP Aaron Bummer: Made a combined 15 relief appearances between the Arizona Rookie League White Sox, Advanced Rookie Great Falls and Class A Winston-Salem in 2016; was selected by the White Sox in the 19th round of the 2014 draft.
- RHP Zack Burdi: Rated by Baseball America as the No. 6 Prospect and MLB.com as the No. 8 Prospect in the Chicago system; recorded 51 strikeouts in 38.0 IP (26 relief appearances) between the Arizona Rookie League White Sox, Class A Winston-Salem, Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte in 2016; was selected by the White Sox in the first round (26th overall) of the 2016 draft.
- INF Everth Cabrera: Appeared in 510 career games between San Diego (2009-14) and Baltimore (2015); represented the Padres as a National League All-Star in 2013.
- LHP Brian Clark: Rated by MLB.com as the No. 22 Prospect in the White Sox organization; selected by Chicago in the ninth round of the 2014 draft.
- C Zack Collins: Rated by Baseball America as the No. 4 Prospect and MLB.com as the No. 6 Prospect in the White Sox organization; selected by Chicago in the first round (10th overall) of the 2016 First-Year Player Draft.
- INF Nicky Delmonico: Appeared in 110 games between Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte in 2016; led all White Sox farmhands with 17 home runs last season.
- LHP Jace Fry: Was selected by the White Sox in the third round of the 2014 draft.
- OF Courtney Hawkins: Rated by MLB.com as the No. 20 Prospect in the White Sox organization; spent the entire 2016 season with Class AA Birmingham; selected by the White Sox in the first round (13th overall) in 2012 draft.
- INF Danny Hayes: Spent the entire 2016 season with Class AAA Charlotte; selected by the White Sox in the 13th round of the 2013 draft.
- LHP David Holmberg: Made 28 starts between Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte in 2016; made 14 career appearances (12 starts) with Arizona (2013) and Cincinnati (2014-15).
- RHP Michael Kopech: Rated by MLB.com as the No. 3 Prospect and Baseball America as the No. 5 Prospect in the White Sox organization; was acquired by Chicago with infielder Yoan Moncada, outfielder Luis Alexander Basabe and right-handed pitcher Victor Diaz in exchange for left-hander Chris Sale on December 6, 2016.
- LHP Cory Luebke: Made nine relief appearances with Pittsburgh in 2016; appeared in 64 career games (25 starts) between San Diego (2010-12) and Pittsburgh (2016).
- C Roberto Pena: Appeared in 74 games between Class AA Corpus Christi and Class AAA Fresno in the Houston organization in 2016; selected by Houston in the seventh round of the 2010 draft.
- LHP Matt Purke: Made 12 relief appearances with Chicago in 2016, his first major-league season.
- RHP Blake Smith: Made five relief appearances with Chicago in 2016, his first major-league season.
- C Geovany Soto: Appeared in 26 games with the Los Angeles Angels in 2016; spent the entire 2015 season with the White Sox, appearing in 78 games.
- RHP Anthony Swarzak: Made 26 relief appearances with the Yankees in 2016; appeared in 217 games (32 starts) over seven major-league seasons with Minnesota (2009, '11-14), Cleveland (2015) and the Yankees (2016).