MIAMI -- With 85 career saves under his belt, Brad Ziegler is well acquainted with the closer's role. But the 37-year-old, who officially joined the Marlins on a two-year, $16 million deal on Friday, is prepared to do his part setting up.
In an interview on SiriusXM's MLB Network Radio on Monday, Ziegler said he anticipates A.J. Ramos remaining Miami's closer.
"I think for the most part, I'll be pitching somewhere before him," Ziegler said. "I think he's going to be the closer going into the season. I think everybody in that 'pen is totally fine with that -- knowing the success he's had, the stuff he's got. Now he's got another year of experience under his belt."
As a guest of Casey Stern and Brad Lidge, Ziegler said the Marlins are building as much bullpen depth as possible. The sidearm-throwing right-hander welcomes the opportunity to join the Marlins and work in a setup capacity, while also being available to close.
Ziegler combined for 22 saves in 2016 while playing for the D-backs and Red Sox. In 604 career relief appearances, he has 85 saves in 115 opportunities.
Ramos, 30, is coming off an All-Star season in which he saved 40 of 43 chances. In 2015, the right-hander became Miami's primary closer and saved 32 of 38 opportunities.
"The biggest thing they want right now is options," Ziegler said. "They want to be able to shorten the game and make it to where they don't have to rely on starting pitching to go deep into the games. I think they've helped accomplish that so far, and hopefully they're not done."
Joe Frisaro has covered the Marlins for MLB.com since 2002. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.