Starting today, voting begins for the brand new MLB Fans of the Year presented by Esurance. Four Rays fans have been nominated for the inaugural award and the winner will be decided by their fellow fans over the next week. The nominees are:
- Irving "Irv" Dupre (#RaysFOTY1) from Valrico, Fla., who is imparting his love of the club on his granddaughter, Alexa, to help foster the next generation of Rays fandom.
- Ky Koch (#RaysFOTY2) from Clearwater, Fla., a Rays season ticket holder since Day 1 who funds an organization that brings a group of special needs children to a game each year.
- Carol Dennis (#RaysFOTY3) from Dunedin, Fla., a Rays season ticket holder with two seats so she can share the fan experience with others in her life.
- George Stone (#RaysFOTY4) from Seminole, Fla., who presides over Miracle League Gulf Beaches, a baseball league for children with special needs, and helps bring the group to meet Rays players each year.
Fans can cast their vote for the MLB Fans of the Year by visiting MLB.com/Awards. Voting is open September 13-19. Once on the website, fans will choose between the Mariners four Fan of the Year nominees. Fans can also vote on Twitter by using the nominee's hashtag. Voting percentages will be available throughout the voting period showing in real time where each nominee stands. Fans can vote as many times as they want. Winners will be based on total votes and hashtag mentions.
The MLB Fan of the Year award launches the start of the Esurance MLB Awards season. Voting on the remaining award categories begins September 19 and runs through November 11. Winners will be announced on MLB Network from 5-6 p.m. PST on November 18.
2016 Esurance MLB Awards categories:
- Best Major Leaguer
- Best Pitcher
- Best Defensive Player
- Best Play -- Offense
- Best Moment
- Best Social Media Post
- Best MLB Interview
- Best Player/Fan Interaction
- Best Manager
- Best Hitter
- Best Rookie
- Best Social Media Personality
- Best Play - Defense
- Best Performance
- Best Fan Catch
- Best Call -- TV/Radio
- Best Trending Topic
- Best Executive
- Best Major Leaguer - Postseason
Esurance is in its second year of a multi-year partnership with MLB as the exclusive auto insurance partner for the league and is the title sponsor of the Esurance MLB Awards and the all-digital Esurance MLB All-Star Game Ballot.