Rockies reinstate right-handed pitchers Tyler Chatwood and Justin Miller from 15-day disabled list
The Colorado Rockies announced today that they have reinstated right-handed pitchers Tyler Chatwood (mid-back strain) and Justin Miller (strained left oblique) from the 15-day disabled list, and have recalled right-handed pitcher Christian Bergman, catcher Tommy Murphy and outfielder Raimel Tapia from Triple-A Albuquerque. Additionally, the Rockies have reinstated infielder Daniel Descalso from the Paternity List.
- Chatwood, 26, was placed on the 15-day disabled list Aug. 16 (retroactive to Aug. 15) with a mid-back strain … is 10-8 with a 3.75 ERA (127.1 IP, 53 ER), 119 hits, 58 walks and 88 strikeouts in 22 starts with the Rockies this season … his 10 wins are a career high and rank second for the Rockies this season … made one rehab appearance with Double-A Hartford on Monday and took the loss after allowing two unearned runs on four hits with one walk and three strikeouts in 4.1 innings of work … is 6-1 with a 1.82 ERA (59.1 IP, 12 ER), 40 hits, 27 walks and 42 strikeouts in 10 starts on the road … was also placed on the disabled list June 19 of this season with a mid-back strain … was activated from the disabled list July 5 and has gone 2-4 with a 4.97 ERA (41.2 IP, 23 ER), 43 hits, 29 walks and 35 strikeouts in eight starts since … missed the entire 2015 season and a majority of the 2014 season after undergoing his second Tommy John surgery in 2014 … in parts of five seasons with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (2011) and the Colorado Rockies (2012-16) has gone 30-30 with a 4.18 ERA (469.1 IP, 218 ER), 498 hits, 42 home runs, 211 walks and 289 strikeouts in 92 appearances, 83 starts … he was acquired by the Rockies via trade from the Angels in exchange for catcher Chris Iannetta on Nov. 30, 2011. Chatwood Stats
- Miller, 29, is 1-1 with a 5.35 ERA (35.1 IP, 21 ER) in 31 appearances with the Rockies … made 12 rehab appearances with Triple-A Albuquerque, and posted a 6.75 ERA (12.0 IP, 9 ER) with 15 hits, four walks and eight strikeouts … was a member of his first career Opening Day roster … in parts of three seasons with the Detroit Tigers (2014) and Colorado Rockies (2015-16) is 5-4 with one save and a 4.78 ERA (81.0 IP, 43 ER), 76 hits, nine home runs, 30 walks and 80 strikeouts … was signed to a Minor League contract by Colorado Nov. 19, 2014 … was originally drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 16th round of the 2008 MLB First-Year Player Draft. Miller Stats
- Bergman, 28, will be making his fourth stint with the Rockies in 2016 … was optioned to Albuquerque on Aug. 20 … in 10 appearances, one start, for the Rockies this season he is 1-3 with a 6.52 ERA (19.1 IP, 14 ER), four home runs, five walks and 19 strikeouts … with Albuquerque, is 3-3 with a 3.66 ERA (51.2 IP, 21 ER), 52 hits, 12 walks and 33 strikeouts in 10 starts … made his only Major League start this season April 16 at Chicago-NL and pitched five innings, allowing two runs on four hits … was placed on the 15-day disabled list May 20 with a strained left oblique … was removed from the disabled list on July 9 and optioned to Triple-A … in parts of three seasons with the Rockies (2014-16), is 7-9 with a 5.44 ERA (142.1 IP, 86 ER), 21 home runs, 30 walks and 87 strikeouts … was selected by the Rockies in the 24th round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft out of UC Irvine. Bergman Stats
- Murphy, 25, will be making his first appearance on the Major League roster this season … in 77 games with Albuquerque this season, is batting .330 (97-for-294) with 53 runs, 26 doubles, seven triples, 19 home runs, 59 RBI, 16 walks, 76 strikeouts and one stolen base … the seven triples and 19 home runs lead the Isotopes … made his Major League debut Sept. 12, 2015 vs. Seattle and batted .257 (9-for-35) with five runs, one double, three home runs, nine RBI, four walks and 10 strikeouts in his 11 games with the Rockies … ranked #97 on the Baseball America Top 100 Prospects list prior to the 2016 season … was originally selected by the Rockies in the third round of the 2012 First-Year Player Draft out of the SUNY Buffalo. Murphy Stats
- Tapia, 22, will be making his first career appearance on the Major League roster … has split the 2016 season between Hartford (104 games) and Albuquerque (21 games) … with Hartford, batted .323 (137-for-424) with 79 runs, 20 doubles, five triples, eight home runs, 34 RBI, 25 walks, 49 strikeouts and 17 stolen bases … with Albuquerque, batted .333 (31-for-93) with 13 runs, five doubles, four triples, 13 RBI, two walks, 11 strikeouts and six stolen bases … was selected as a Mid-Season All-Star with Hartford … in his Minor League career across six seasons, has batted .316 (723-for-2,285) with 372 runs, 126 doubles, 29 triples, 37 home runs, 307 RBI, 147 walks, 362 strikeouts and 120 stolen bases … ranked #42 on the Baseball America Top 100 Prospects list prior to the 2016 season … was originally signed by the Rockies as a non-drafted international free agent on Nov. 29, 2010. Tapia Stats
- Descalso, 29, was placed on the Paternity List on Aug. 31 … has batted .270 (48-for-178) with 28 runs, 10 doubles, two triples, three home runs, 29 RBI and 31 walks in 75 games with the Rockies this season … has made 47 starts on the season, playing first base, second base, third base, shortstop, left field and designated hitter … is 7-for-21 (.333) as a pinch hitter, the fourth-highest average as a pinch-hitter in the Majors … began the season on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured left hand and was reinstated on May 13 … was signed by the Rockies as a free agent Dec. 16, 2014 … in two seasons with the Rockies has batted .237 (86-for-363) with 50 runs, 13 doubles, four triples, eight home runs, 51 RBI and 51 walks … in parts of seven seasons with St. Louis (2010-14) and Colorado (2015-16), has batted .241 (383-for-1586) with 195 runs, 81 doubles, 15 triples, 18 home runs, 162 RBI and 165 walks. Descalso Stats
The Rockies currently have a full 40-man roster.