A-Rod all but ruling out return in '17

MLB Network's Heyman reports slugger has told friends 'I'm done'

A-Rod all but ruling out return in '17

Earlier this week, Alex Rodriguez's publicist released a statement saying the 14-time All-Star will not play again this season, following his release from the Yankees. Now it seems likely that Rodriguez won't be suiting up in 2017, either.

The 41-year-old has told friends, "I'm done," and appears to be a long shot to continue his 22-year playing career, MLB Network Insider Jon Heyman wrote on Thursday for Today's Knuckleball. However, Rodriguez has not publically closed the door on playing again.

Rodriguez's final game with the Yankees came last Friday in the Bronx, as scheduled, and he went 1-for-4 with a double against the Rays. The next day, New York gave him his release, and Rodriguez is now free to sign with any team.

Rodriguez's publicist, Ron Berkowitz, quelled rumors about his client finishing 2016 in another uniform when he released a statement Monday saying that's "not happening."

One reason for Rodriguez to try to continue his career would be that he needs four home runs to join Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth as the only players to reach 700. On the other hand, Rodriguez was limited almost entirely to a designated-hitter role this season and batted .200/.247/.351 with nine homers and 31 RBIs in 65 games for the Yankees.

Andrew Simon is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AndrewSimonMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.