PITTSBURGH -- Pirates catcher Francisco Cervelli was out of the lineup Thursday, but not on the disabled list, after leaving Wednesday night's game early due to injury.
Cervelli exited the Pirates' 4-0 loss to the Padres after four innings with what the club called "left wrist discomfort." Speaking after the Bucs' 4-0 win on Thursday, Cervelli said he aggravated his surgically repaired left hand on a swing during Wednesday's game.
"It's just the same thing. Sometimes with swings like that, I feel a lot of pain," Cervelli said. "It's normal because I had surgery. ... I've been working hard to come back and put in 100 percent, and it just got numb."
After drawing a walk in the third inning, Cervelli was clearly favoring his left hand and wrist while running the bases and squatting behind the plate.
Cervelli was examined by a doctor Thursday morning, but he said nothing appeared to be wrong structurally. Manager Clint Hurdle said the club will monitor Cervelli daily, but he expects to have his catcher back "soon."
Cervelli, signed to a three-year contract extension in May, had surgery on June 11 to repair a fractured hamate bone in his left hand, the result of a violent swing on June 10. He returned on July 19 and hit .289 with a .362 on-base percentage in 15 games off the disabled list.
"Nobody came back as quick as I did. They took their time," Cervelli said, asked if he'd reached out to other players about similar numbness following the surgery. "I did it very quick. I felt good. The key is I've got to swing perfect all the time."
Catcher Elias Diaz, the Pirates' No. 10 prospect, was in the clubhouse in case Pittsburgh elected to make a roster move. Diaz made the trip from Buffalo, N.Y., where Triple-A Indianapolis played on Wednesday. The rookie also reported to Atlanta last week on a taxi-squad assignment while the Pirates were monitoring Cervelli, who was hit in the head by a pitch.