"In a winning situation, he can give us a weapon in a couple of different spots," manager Jeff Banister said.
Rua played in 78 games in the outfield and at first base, hitting .266 with seven home runs and 20 RBIs, but he lost playing time with Shin-Soo Choo off the DL, Jurickson Profar playing semi-regularly and Delino DeShields back from Triple-A.
"We just feel like it's an opportunity for us to send Ryan back and get [him] some consistent at-bats," Banister said. "He's been a part-time player. This is an opportunity for a guy that we feel has been a contributor for us -- and is going to be a contributor for us -- to go capture some at-bats and some playing time."
• Derek Holland, on the 60-day DL because of inflammation in his left shoulder, threw three innings and 55 pitches for Triple-A Round Rock on Wednesday, allowing one run on four hits, a walk and two strikeouts in his second rehab start. He is expected to make at least one more start before being eligible to come off the DL on Aug. 20.
• Colby Lewis, on the DL with a strained muscle in the back of his right shoulder, threw 21 pitches off a mound during a bullpen session on Wednesday. The Rangers will see how he recovers on Thursday, an MRI will be performed on Friday, and after that the team will determine his next step.
• Tanner Scheppers, on the DL while recovering from surgery on his left knee, threw batting practice on Wednesday. He will have another session later this week and then possibly begin a rehab assignment. He could be a September reinforcement for the bullpen.
• Left-hander Cole Ragans, the Rangers' No. 1 pick in the 2016 Draft, is scheduled to make his professional debut on Saturday in the Arizona Rookie League.
• Left-hander James Jones, who has been converted from the outfield, has been promoted to Class A Hickory.
• To make room for Stubbs on the 40-man roster, the Rangers designated Triple-A infielder Kyle Kubitza for assignment. Kubitza was acquired from the Angels earlier this summer.
• The Rangers announced their Minor League award winners for July on Wednesday. Right-hander Nick Martinez (Triple-A Round Rock, Double-A Frisco) won pitcher of the month, outfielder Scott Heineman (high Class A High Desert) won player of the month, catcher Jose Trevino (High Desert) won defender of the month and right-hander John Fasola (Frisco) was named reliever of the month.