On Monday, detective P.J. Morris, the lead investigator in the case, said that new information has led them to a Latina woman who was wearing a white Andre Ethier jersey on the night of the attack. She is described as 5-foot-2 or 5-foot-3 in her 20s with brown or dyed hair worn in a ponytail.
The woman drove a light or white four-door sedan. She was with a boy, who witnesses said appeared to be about 10 years old. The jersey she was wearing is believed to be the kind designed for a female.
Stow, a 42-year-old paramedic and father of two, has been hospitalized since suffering brain damage after being beaten on March 31 by two men in Dodgers gear. Stow, who remains in critical condition, was wearing Giants gear at the time of the attack.
Stow was transferred on Monday to San Francisco General Hospital from the Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Medical Center, where he had been placed in a medically induced coma to treat his injuries. Doctors allowed Stow to come out of the coma last week.
The San Francisco Chronicle on Wednesday reported that Stow's doctors "expressed a measure of optimism" after his seizures had been brought under control. As a result, the doctors were able to take him off one of the five anti-seizure drugs that have been part of his treatment.
As of Wednesday morning, according to the Chronicle, it had been 30 hours since Stow had experienced any seizure activity. He also displayed what were described as "primitive functions," such as spontaneously opening his eyes. Doctors hope they will be able to gradually cut back on Stow's medication to be able to "understand the true level of his brain function," said Dr. Geoff Manly, the chief of neurosurgery at San Francisco General.
Police say they have received more than 500 tips from the public, but no arrests have been made. Morris is leading a group of 17 detectives investigating the case. Los Angeles Police captain Bill Murphy said detectives had built strong leads, but finding the woman who drove the men away was most vital.
Los Angeles Police chief Charlie Beck said the total reward for information leading to the apprehension of the two attackers had been increased to $200,000.
Matt Weber is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.