White Sox-Tigers suspended after 8 innings

Game to resume Sunday at 1:10 p.m. CT, followed shortly by finale

White Sox-Tigers suspended after 8 innings

CHICAGO -- The White Sox game against the Tigers on Saturday night was suspended because of rain with the game tied at 3 after eight innings at U.S. Cellular Field.

The game will resume Sunday at 1:10 p.m. CT, followed shortly by the finale of the four-game series that had been scheduled to begin at that time.

Fans with tickets dated July 24 will be allowed to enter the ballpark to see both games Sunday. Tickets dated for July 23 will not be accepted for entry, but fans can exchange their ticket for a best available upper-level seat for any game from Aug. 5-7.

Exchanges must be made at the U.S. Cellular Field box office starting at 10 a.m. CT on Thursday.

White Sox on suspended game

Chicago made it 3-1 on a solo home run by Avisail Garcia in the fourth, but the Tigers battled back to tie it on a solo homer by Justin Upton in the sixth and an RBI single by Nick Castellanos in the eighth. White Sox closer David Robertson, who came on to get the final out in the eighth, is the pitcher of record when the game resumes.

"They got a run at the end [in the eighth]," White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier said. "Hopefully we can come in, [Robertson] can get two saves or we can get two wins [Sunday]."

The delay that prompted the suspension was the third of the game and lasted approximately 45 minutes. The first pushed the first pitch back 10 minutes, and the second halted play for 1 hour, 14 minutes following the second inning.

Sale scratched after 'clubhouse incident'

Prior to the game, the White Sox scratched ace left-hander Chris Sale from his scheduled start. A source told MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi the incident stemmed in part from Sale protesting the use of throwback jerseys, which was tied into a jersey giveaway for fans. Matt Albers made his first start since 2008 for the White Sox, who used six relievers to get through the first eight innings.

Ventura on Sale, suspended game

"It's a challenge," Chicago manager Robin Ventura said of Sale's absence. "The guys in the bullpen were informed. Again, proud of them for stepping up and filling in, and doing what they had to do. It was very professional of them."

Detroit took a 1-0 lead in the first on a hit, throwing error and fielder's-choice grounder by Miguel Cabrera, but the White Sox responded with two runs to make it 2-1 in their half of the second off Detroit starter Matt Boyd. They capitalized on a fielding error by Castellanos to spark the rally, which included a sac fly by Garcia and an RBI double by Dioner Navarro.

Brian Hedger is a contributor to MLB.com based in Chicago. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.