Halfway through his 20th and final season, Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz's jersey returns to the top spot as the most popular to date in 2016, leading the semi-annual list that this year features 13 2016 MLB All-Stars. The 40-year-old Ortiz, who was elected by fans this week and will make his 10th All-Star Game appearance, leads a cast of All-Stars where every position player in the top 10 was elected by fans to start the 2016 MLB All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 12 in San Diego.
This is the second time Ortiz has led the list since MLB and the MLBPA began releasing jerseys sales rankings in 2010 -- Ortiz previously topped the 2013-14 offseason list after leading Boston to its third World Series title since 2004. Ortiz is among the AL leaders in numerous offensive categories, including average, doubles, home runs and RBI, and ranks among the ten best MLB hitters in average exit velocity (94.8 mph via Statcast).
Reigning National League Rookie of the Year and fellow fan-elected All-Star starter Kris Bryant holds onto the list's No. 2 spot after finishing 2015 in that position. The 24-year-old Bryant, who leads the National League with 25 HR, heads a trio of Chicago Cubs that rank among the 10 most popular player jerseys (Anthony Rizzo, No. 4 and Jake Arrieta, No. 7).
Following Ortiz and Bryant on the list, released jointly today by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, are three All-Stars: Clayton Kershaw (No. 3), Rizzo and the American League's starting center fielder for the All-Star Game, Mike Trout (No. 5). Five of the top 10 players on the current list are 26 years of age or younger.
The list is based on sales of Majestic jerseys from MLBShop.com, the official online shop of Major League Baseball, between Jan. 1, 2016 and the 2016 All-Star Game presented by MasterCard.
Players representing 13 different clubs make up the top 20 most popular player jerseys, which includes six infielders, five outfielders, three catchers, five starting pitchers and one DH.
MLB Most Popular Player Jerseys -- 2016 First Half
Based on sales from MLBShop.com of Majestic jerseys between Jan. 1 & the All-Star Game presented by MasterCard
- David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
- Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs
- Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
- Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
- Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
- Jake Arrieta, Chicago Cubs
- Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
- Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
- Noah Syndergaard, New York Mets
- Salvador Perez, Kansas City Royals
- Eric Hosmer, Kansas City Royals
- Jacob deGrom, New York Mets
- Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals
- Madison Bumgarner, San Francisco Giants
- David Wright, New York Mets
- Lorenzo Cain, Kansas City Royals
- Josh Donaldson, Toronto Blue Jays
- Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox