"And then depending on what we do on Sunday, whether it's optional or no hitting, he'll get some type of work in," Cash said. "And after that, if all goes well, we'll start mapping out a rehab stint."
According to Cash, that rehab stint could begin as early as Monday.
• Outfielder Mikie Mahtook (left hand fracture) ran on Friday.
• Outfielder Desmond Jennings (left hamstring strain) and infielder Steve Pearce (right hamstring strain) both hit on the field at Tropicana Field on Friday.
• Right-hander Alex Cobb (Tommy John surgery) had a bullpen session on Friday and will pitch two or three innings for Class A Charlotte on Monday at Daytona.
• Right-hander Chase Whitley (Tommy John surgery) is scheduled for a bullpen session Saturday and a live batting practice on Tuesday at Charlotte.
• Right-hander Brad Boxberger (left oblique injury) will throw a bullpen on Saturday and a live batting practice on Tuesday at Charlotte.
Bill Chastain has covered the Rays for MLB.com since 2005. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.