Burns, rated No. 26 on the Blue Jays' Top 30 Prospects list, according to MLBPipeline.com, is expected to stick around until at least the All-Star break that begins Monday, and it's possible he will remain on the roster until Toronto completes an Interleague Series against the D-backs from July 19-20.
"You can play him anywhere and he's a pretty good runner too," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "He has played some good defense and you can throw him anywhere. That's the key."
Burns had been up a couple of times this season prior to Friday's promotion. He received just six at-bats over eight games and is still looking for his first big league hit. The 25-year-old was batting .238 with a .364 on-base percentage in 70 games for Buffalo.
Toronto had been playing with one less man available off the bench in recent weeks because of an eight-man bullpen. The Blue Jays still have eight relievers on the roster, but Burns essentially takes the spot of starter Marco Estrada, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier this week with a sore back.
"We're just looking to get through the break, but he could come in handy [in Arizona] too," Gibbons said. "He'd be the ideal guy."
Gregor Chisholm has covered the Blue Jays for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB and Facebook, and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.