Major League Baseball and the San Diego Padres today released the 2016 All-Star Week community initiatives schedule, including local legacy projects that will be unveiled throughout the week, starting from Thursday, July 7th and lasting through Tuesday, July 12th - the day of the 87th MLB All-Star Game presented by MasterCard at Petco Park. The schedule also includes visits by special young fans that are receiving an All-Star experience through Make-A-Wish, MLB's Breaking Barriers program and Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
As a complement to the Midsummer celebration of Baseball and the San Diego Padres, the various All-Star Week events and project renovations seek to impact the lives of underserved and special needs youth, and place a focus on improving the health and well-being of local citizens. The effort includes community improvement projects designed to leave a lasting impact throughout Greater San Diego and, for the first time in All-Star history, internationally in Mexico. These include five casual and formal baseball and softball playing surfaces, including the first softball-specific All-Star Legacy project, a veterans reintegration center and support for a school for children affected by homelessness. Commissioner Rob Manfred will join Padres ownership in revealing four of the five playing surfaces refurbished as part of this effort. A variety of Padres legends will also participate in the different All-Star community projects. Scotts and Chevrolet are among the MLB sponsors supporting various elements of this All-Star community effort.
MLB and the Padres have donated approximately $5 million through MLB Charities and the Padres Foundation, a fund of the San Diego Foundation, toward these All-Star legacy projects and in support of national charitable initiatives, including Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the Jackie Robinson Foundation and Stand Up to Cancer, among others. A portion of the funds will be raised from Gatorade All-Star Workout Day on Monday, July 11th. Since 1997, MLB has donated more than $75 million in All-Star charitable contributions. In addition to the All-Star Legacy projects, a number of special All-Star and youth-related events are included among the many community-focused activities.
Below is a brief, chronological schedule of MLB All-Star Week Community & Youth Activities:
Thursday, July 7th
- 11:00 a.m. - Brady Family Teen Center Renovation, Boys & Girls Clubs of East County (La Mesa, CA)
- 6:30 p.m. - Opening Ceremonies of PLAY BALL Park and All-Star Youth Classic (San Diego, CA)
Friday, July 8th
- 11:00 a.m. - MLB-Padres All-Star Center for Military and Veterans Reintegration at National Veterans Transition Services, Inc. (San Diego, CA)
- 3:30 p.m. - Special Stars Game (Petco Park, San Diego, CA)
Saturday, July 9th
- 8:00 & 11:00 a.m. - Soul Pose MLB All-Star Yoga (Waterfront Park, San Diego, CA)
- 8:30 a.m. - T-Mobile Jr. Home Run Derby National Finals (Petco Park, San Diego, CA)
- 12:00 p.m. - MLB-Padres All-Star Field Dedication at San Pasqual Academy (Escondido, CA)
- 2:00 p.m. - MLB-Padres All-Star Diamond Dedication at Conrad Prebys Escondido Branch of Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego (Escondido, CA)
- 5:00 p.m. - Make-A-Wish Welcome Reception (Hilton Bayfront, San Diego, CA)
Sunday, July 10th
- 7:00 a.m. - The Color Run MLB All-Star 5K presented by Nike (Waterfront Park, San Diego, CA)
- 11:00 a.m. - Scotts Field Refurbishment Dedication (Mountain View Park, San Diego, CA)
- 1:00 p.m. - Starlight Fun Center Donation at Rady Children's Hospital (San Diego, CA)
Monday, July 11th
- 9:30 a.m. - MLB-Padres All-Star Complex Dedication at Club de Niños y Niñas de Mexico (Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico)
- 12:00 p.m. - MLB-Padres All-Star Complex Field Dedication at Jackie Robinson YMCA (San Diego, CA)
- 12:00 p.m. - Scotts MLB Pitch, Hit & Run Finals (Petco Park, San Diego, CA)
Tuesday, July 12th
- 10:00 a.m. - MLB-Padres All-Star Launch Pointe at Monarch School (San Diego, CA)
- Breaking Barriers Grand Prize Winner: Kendal Young, a 5th grader from Spring Lake, Michigan, will be accompanied by Sharon Robinson (daughter of Jackie Robinson; MLB Educational Programming Consultant) as an honored guest prior to the T-Mobile Home Run Derby on Monday, July 11th. Kendal is one of two grand prize winners of the 2016 Breaking Barriers: In Sports, In Life essay contest after writing about living as one of the few African-Americans in her community. She was selected from more than 17,000 essays from students around the United States and Canada. This year marks the 20th anniversary of Breaking Barriers - the educational program led by Sharon Robinson. The Breaking Barriers educational program is designed to teach students in grades four through nine about the obstacles faced by Jackie Robinson as he broke baseball's color barrier in 1947. Church & Dwight, maker of Arm & Hammer and OxiClean products and an official sponsor of Major League Baseball, is a supporter of the Breaking Barriers program, contributing $150,000 annually through 2016.
- Make-A-Wish: Five young fans will be a part of All-Star Week festivities, including all events at Petco Park, as special guests of Major League Baseball. They include: Aidan, 12 from Rochester, NY; Christian, 17 from Atlanta, GA; Cordero, 17 from McKinney, TX; Jake, 18 from Santa Clarita, CA; and Tony, 16 from Madera, CA.
- Boys & Girls Club Youth of the Year: Boys & Girls Clubs of America Youth of the Year Whitney Stewart, 19, from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota County in Sarasota, Florida, will be a part of pre-game ceremonies for the 87th MLB All-Star Game presented by MasterCard. Whitney is a student at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Stand Up To Cancer: During the 87th MLB All-Star Game presented by MasterCard, MLB and MasterCard will join FOX in a historic live moment to stand together with Stand Up to Cancer in the fight against cancer.
MLB All-Star Week includes the MLB All-Star Game presented by MasterCard at Petco Park (July 12th), Gatorade All-Star Workout Day featuring the T-Mobile Home Run Derby (July 11th), All-Star Sunday featuring the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game and All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game (July 10th), MLB All-Star FanFest at the San Diego Convention Center (July 8th-12th), plus a lineup of additional events taking place around the region. The 87th Midsummer Classic will be televised nationally by FOX Sports; in Canada by Rogers Sportsnet and RDS; and worldwide by partners in more than 160 countries. ESPN Radio and ESPN Radio Deportes will provide exclusive national radio coverage of the All-Star Game. MLB Network, MLB.com and SiriusXM also will provide comprehensive All-Star Week coverage. For more information about MLB All-Star Week and to purchase tickets, please visit AllStarGame.com and follow @AllStarGame on social media.