WASHINGTON -- Just over a month away from the Aug. 1 non-waiver Trade Deadline, right fielder Jay Bruce and the Reds are in a similar situation to last year. Bruce is central to trade rumors, the club will likely field offers and he will watch and wait to see if something gets done.
Bruce said on Thursday he is open to any deal, including to any of the eight clubs that are listed in his contract's limited no-trade clause. That list includes the Yankees, Red Sox, A's, Rays, Marlins, Twins, Indians and D-backs.
"I would consider waiving the no-trade clause for all types of reasons," Bruce told MLB.com. "There's no blanket reason I wouldn't. I'm open to all possibilities, but it would be situation to situation.
"If I am moved, which has seemed likely for the last year and a half, I'd like to go where the team is mostly likely to win. Teams that want me are likely seeking somebody to help them win."
Of the clubs on the no-trade list, Cleveland seems to be most in need of a left-handed corner outfielder. Michael Brantley has been injured much of 2016 and recently resumed hitting drills. The rest of the Indians' outfield features Lonnie Chisenhall, Jose Ramirez, Tyler Naquin and Rajai Davis. The Indians, who lead the American League Central, also fit Bruce's need to play for a contender.
Bruce's agent, Matt Sosnick, noted that the Reds have not presented him or his client with any potential deals for approval.
Bruce, 29, is having a resurgent season and entered Thursday batting .279/.325/.568 with 17 home runs, 18 doubles, six triples and 59 RBIs -- numbers that have him at or near the league lead at his position.
Making $12.5 million in 2016, Bruce has a $13 million club option for '17 with a $1 million buyout. To get a player to waive a limited or full no-trade provision, the dealing clubs often provide some incentives.
"We're not setting in stone any financial qualifiers," Sosnick said. "If the deal is good for Jay and good for the Reds, he would consider anything -- including waiving the no-trade. … There is no team that he would unequivocally not go to."
The Reds nearly dealt Bruce to the Blue Jays at the start of Spring Training, but the deal was reportedly called off because of a medical red flag with one of the Minor Leaguers that was part of the return. Toronto was originally part of Bruce's no-trade list but had been swapped out for Cleveland last fall. According to Sosnick, however, Bruce had no negative feelings toward the Indians.
Mark Sheldon has covered the Reds for MLB.com since 2006, and previously covered the Twins from 2001-05. Read his blog, Mark My Word, follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon and Facebook and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.