Holt on the mend, nearing rehab assignment

Holt on the mend, nearing rehab assignment

BOSTON -- Red Sox utility man Brock Holt, who was transferred to the 15-day disabled list for a mild concussion on June 2, heard positive news when being reevaluated by concussion specialist Dr. Micky Collins on Sunday. Though a date has not been confirmed, Holt will soon start a Minor League assignment.

"He had a very good reexamine here today. We've got still some protocol to go through to get him on a rehab assignment but hopefully in the coming days that would begin," manager John Farrell said after Sunday's 2-1 win over the Mariners.

Holt has been sidelined since May 19. Since then, Farrell said Brock's adjustment to the heavy recovery assignments is a good sign.

"He's had three good days from the work that's been done on the field, and probably the most encouraging thing is how he feels at night," Farrell said before Sunday's game. "That's been somewhat the gauge on how he's been responding to the work load, the intensity of it."

The 28-year-old Holt posted 27 hits, including four doubles, with three home runs and 19 RBIs in 35 games. Holt has since missed 26 games.

"These are very individual and somewhat tricky situations, in addition to the baseball activity, the exercises that have been prescribed and administered by Dr. Collins, in addition to medication," Farrell said. "So there's a combination of things here that are trying to get him back to consistent work, ramping up the intensity."

Worth noting
• Right-hander Joe Kelly, who was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket on June 1, is still recovering from a right shoulder injury.

"He's still getting treatment," Farrell said. "He's still in a flat-ground phase. Hasn't gotten to the mound yet. This is taking a little bit longer than first anticipated as of right now."

Deesha Thosar is a reporter for MLB.com based in Boston. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.