In the moments after the lopsided defeat Friday, manager Buck Showalter said Wright was an option to start next Wednesday when his turn in the rotation came around, but he also noted the Orioles needed to make at least two roster moves Saturday to clear room for Yovani Gallardo and J.J. Hardy.
• Hardy to return Saturday from DL
About an hour later, the Orioles announced Wright had been sent down, meaning he frees up roster space for either Gallardo or Hardy. Baltimore will still need to make at least one more move before Saturday afternoon's game.
"With Manny [Machado's] looming departure, it's tough to send out infielders and play with two guys on the bench, none of which are infielders," Showalter said. "Pretty complicated. After each game, especially one like this, the chairs kind of move around."
When Wright met with reporters after Friday's loss but before his demotion was announced, he summarized his outing.
"I threw some good pitches, threw some bad pitches," Wright said. "They hit them both."
Four batters into the game, Toronto already had three runs, part of a three-homer day for the Blue Jays off Wright. While the long ball didn't hurt Wright in his past two starts entering Friday, the Red Sox belted four in the June 1 start that temporarily cost him his spot in the Majors.
He managed to bounce back from that start against Boston by tossing seven innings without an earned run June 6, but he's allowed 12 earned runs in his past 8 2/3 innings to balloon his ERA to 6.12.
"I'm working harder than ever," Wright said. "When you're working hard, and get those results, it's tough."
Ryan Baillargeon is a reporter for MLB.com based in Baltimore. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.