BRADENTON, Fla. -- Xavier Nady was released late Thursday afternoon after spending two nights in an area hospital with what Pirates officials said was inflammation of his intestine.
Manatee County Hospital confirmed that Nady, 28, had checked in on Tuesday evening. He was still assigned to a room as of Thursday morning, but his condition improved enough that he will report to Friday workouts as scheduled, although his activity will be limited.
"He's making progress and getting better," general manager Dave Littlefield said shortly after workouts concluded Thursday. "His fever is down and a lot of the symptoms are subsiding."
Nady approached the Pittsburgh staff last week and said his stomach had been bothering him. On Tuesday, the 28-year-old did not dress before workouts and instead said he was going to have bloodwork done. He was admitted to the hospital later that day.
The outfielder/first baseman missed 18 games last season while with the Mets after undergoing an emergency appendectomy on May 30, something Littlefield said played a factor in the amount of caution taken with the new ailment.
"We're just doing our diligence and being thorough at this point in time, to make sure we don't have any problems later on," Littlefield said. "We wanted to do some tests and make sure everything was OK."
Nady is a projected outfielder alongside Jason Bay and Chris Duffy, although it is unknown how this condition will affect him. He hit .280 with 63 RBIs last season in 130 games with the Mets and Pirates, including 61 hits in 55 games with Pittsburgh. Nady was acquired from New York on July 31 in a deal for pitchers Roberto Hernandez and Oliver Perez.
Dawn Klemish is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.