Soreness to keep Ryu from making next rehab start

Korean southpaw has not pitched for Dodgers since 2014

Soreness to keep Ryu from making next rehab start

NEW YORK -- Hyun-Jin Ryu won't make his scheduled Monday rehab start for Triple-A Oklahoma City because of soreness, slowing his comeback from last year's left shoulder surgery again.

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said Ryu felt fine after a Wednesday start, but reported soreness on Thursday and will skip one start "as a precaution." Roberts indicated that Ryu's shoulder is structurally sound and his progression will depend on tolerance for the discomfort expected after a long layoff.

"He's going to keep tossing, but the intensity ... scar tissue, we're hoping it's something like that," said Roberts. "There's going to be some discomfort, but it's kind of up to the individual player and how much each player can tolerate. We'll re-evaluate depending on how he feels."

Club officials recently were hoping Ryu could return to the starting rotation as soon as mid-June to alleviate the recent necessity of scrambling for a fifth starter, which has ranged from Ross Stripling to Mike Bolsinger to teenager Julio Urias.

Ryu has had repeated setbacks after the club initially believed he would be ready for the start of Spring Training. He hasn't pitched for the Dodgers since 2014, having had surgery for a torn labrum late last May. He is signed through 2018 but can opt out one year early if he has a combined 750 innings from 2013-17.

The Dodgers also are hopeful that Brandon McCarthy, who had Tommy John surgery in April 2015, can return by July. McCarthy also is signed through 2018, with a vesting option for 2019.

In other rehab news, Scott Van Slyke (lower back) is expected to be activated from his Minor League rehab assignment when the Dodgers open a homestand on Friday.

The Dodgers also face a decision on Alex Guerrero as early as Monday, when his rehab assignment is scheduled to run out. Guerrero has been out since Spring Training with a left knee contusion.

Guerrero's contract prevents the Dodgers from optioning him to the Minor Leagues. He is paid $5 million this year and $5 million next year.

"Whatever move we decide will be for what's best for the ballclub," said Roberts.

Ken Gurnick has covered the Dodgers for MLB.com since 2001. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.