Indians' brain trust will assess Carrasco's status

Francona, Antonetti, Callaway and medical staff to decide righty's next step

Indians' brain trust will assess Carrasco's status

CLEVELAND -- It is possible that Carlos Carrasco's next start will be with the Indians, but manager Terry Francona is not ready to make that kind of proclamation.

Francona said on Sunday morning the reports were good from Carrasco's four-inning rehab appearance on Saturday with Double-A Akron. The manager now plans on meeting with Chris Antonetti, the team's president of baseball operations, pitching coach Mickey Callaway and Cleveland's medical staff to discuss the next step for the sidelined pitcher.

"By all accounts, by his own account, he looked healthy and seemed raring to go," Francona said. "We'll get Mickey and Chris and everybody and see what the next step is. We'll sit and figure it out."

Carrasco has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 25 due to a left hamstring injury, which he sustained while covering first in an April 24 game against the Tigers. The initial timetable for return was estimated at 4-6 weeks, meaning the right-hander is right on target with his comeback schedule.

Carrasco leaves the game

Carrasco is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Monday. But the details of his next appearance -- whether that is another Minor League rehab outing or a start for Cleveland -- are yet to be determined.

In four innings against Harrisburg on Saturday, Carrasco allowed two runs (one earned) on seven hits and ended with six strikeouts and one walk. Most importantly, the pitcher was also given some tests in the field. In the first, Carrasco had to hustle to cover first base on a 3-6-1 double-play attempt.

Francona noted that Carrasco logged more pitches in the bullpen after his outing to get closer to his target pitch count of around 60.

"He gave up seven hits, but he threw four innings and actually had to go finish in the 'pen," Francona said. "[He] covered first in the first inning. ... He handled all that. It was good."

Jordan Bastian has covered the Indians for MLB.com since 2011, and previously covered the Blue Jays from 2006-10. Read his blog, Major League Bastian, follow him on Twitter @MLBastian and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.