Pitcher: RHP Luke Leftwich, Lakewood. The 21-year-old Leftwich struck out 10 batters and scattered seven hits during a 6.0-inning, scoreless start against Asheville on May 6. It was his second straight double-digit strikeout performance, and he now has struck out 21 batters in his last 12.0 innings pitched. He currently leading the league in strikeouts (39) and strikeouts per nine innings pitched (14.62), and is eighth in ERA (2.25). Leftwich was selected by the Phillies in the seventh round of the June 2015 draft out of Wofford College.
Lehigh Valley IronPigs, International League North Division,15-14, 2nd place
The IronPigs went 3-4 last week, dropping a three-game series with Pawtucket before splitting four games with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. They remain two games back of the Syracuse Chiefs in the division.
• Top hitting performers: 1B Tommy Joseph slugged two more home runs and drove in seven runs, batting .455 (10-22) with a .773 slugging percentage for the week. He is leading the league in batting (.392) and slugging (.709), and is tied for third in home runs (6) and extra-base hits (13). INF/OF Darnell Sweeney went 9-for-23 (.391) with four runs scored, two doubles, two walks and four multi-hit games.
• Top pitching performers: RHP Alec Asher made one start, tossing 7.0 innings while allowing an unearned run on three hits. He has not allowed an earned run in 15.2 innings since his promotion to Lehigh Valley. RHP Jake Thompson surrendered just a run on two hits in his 7.0-inning start on May 3. RHP Severino Gonzalez had three appearances in relief (7.0 IP) and all three were scoreless. He has tossed 10.0 innings for the IronPigs without allowing an earned run. RHP Edubray Ramos appeared twice out of the bullpen, combining for three strikeouts in 3.0 scoreless innings.
Reading Fightin Phils, Eastern League Eastern Division, 19-11, 2nd place
Reading won a pair of series against New Hampshire and Portland, limiting them to just 20 total runs over seven games (2.86 runs per game). With six one-run games last week, Reading improves to 7-5 in such contests this season.
• Top hitting performers: CF Roman Quinn batted .333 (7-21) and drew four walks, helping him to a .440 on-base percentage for the week. He also stole three bases in three attempts, bringing his season total to 12. OF Dylan Cozens hit a pair of home runs and doubled twice as he slugged .600 in seven games played. INF/OF Angelo Mora recorded at least one RBI in four straight games, driving in a team-high seven runs. He also had four extra-base hits (2 2B, 2 3B).
• Top pitching performers: RHP Ricardo Pinto held Portland to a run on five hits in 6.0 innings of work on May 7. It was his fourth consecutive start with at least 6.0 innings pitched and two or fewer earned runs allowed. RHP Nick Pivetta earned the win in his only start, striking out six batters in 5.1 innings while allowing two runs. LHP Tom Windle struck out five and surrendered just one hit in his 3.2 innings in relief.
Clearwater Threshers, Florida State League North Division, 19-10, 1st place
A postponement and a scheduled off day limited the Threshers to five games, all of which were against the Tampa Yankees. Clearwater went 3-2 in those five games, improving to a league-best 14-7 against division opponents.
• Top hitting performers: 1B Zach Green hit a home run, had three doubles and knocked in four runs as he batted .333 (7-21) in five games played. 3B Mitch Walding, who was also 7-21 (.333), tripled, drove in three runs and scored three more.
• Top pitching performers: RHP Ranfi Casimiro improved to 4-1 this season after yielding two runs on five hits in his 5.0-inning start on May 6. He has a 2.77 ERA (8 ER, 26.0 IP) through five starts. LHP Joely Rodriguez tossed 2.0 perfect innings to earn a save on May 6. He combined for 3.2 scoreless frames with three strikeouts during the week. RHP Ulises Joaquin did not allow a hit in his 3.0 scoreless innings in relief.
Lakewood BlueClaws, South Atlantic League Northern Division, 9-20, 7th place
The BlueClaws finished off a series victory against Greenville on May 2 before taking two of three from Asheville to earn their first consecutive series wins of the season. Lakewood scored 24 runs in those two wins against Asheville, and outscored their opponents 26-9 in their three victories last week.
• Top hitting performers: Marrero was named Phillies Minor League Player of the Week after batting .500 (12-24) with three doubles, four RBI, seven runs scored and a 1.144 OPS. OF Jose Pujols hit .321 (9-28) with three home runs and 11 RBI, 10 of which came in his last four games. He is tied for the league lead with seven home runs this season. 3B Jan Hernandez hit safely in all seven of his games, batting .385 (10-26) with a double and two RBI.
• Top pitching performers:Leftwich recorded his second straight double-digit strikeout performance, striking out 10 batters during 6.0 shutout innings against Asheville. Leftwich was named Phillies Minor League Pitcher of Week for his performance. RHP Franklyn Kilome made two starts, combining to allow just two earned runs in 9.1 innings pitched (1.93 ERA) with 11 strikeouts.