Mesoraco to have surgery, will likely end season

Mesoraco to have surgery, will likely end season

CINCINNATI -- Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco didn't try to hide his disappointment on Friday. Mesoraco is faced with the likelihood of a second-straight lost season after electing to have surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

The procedure will be performed on Tuesday by the Reds' medical director, Dr. Tim Kremchek. Mesoraco was told his recovery time would be four to six months.

"I would imagine it'll be difficult to get back out there before the end of the year. But who knows?" Mesoraco said on Friday.

Since signing a four-year, $28 million contract before the 2015 season, Mesoraco has been severely limited by injuries. He dealt with a left hip impingement early last season and eventually had surgery in that hip to repair a torn labrum.

Mesoraco, 27, has been held to a combined 39 games -- including 18 starts -- over the past two seasons.

"It's certainly not the way I drew it up, not the way the Reds drew it up, I'm sure," Mesoraco said. "It's frustrating. You work so hard in the offseason to get to the point where I can play. This started barking very similar, within the first week of the season.

"It's just hard to believe that you can work as hard as you do and try and get out on the field, then finally get out there and something else happens. It sucks. That's really the best way to put it."

Mesoraco, a 2014 All-Star who hit 25 home runs that season, went on the 15-day disabled list on Monday after undergoing an MRI exam with Kremchek. A second opinion was sought, and that doctor also confirmed the injury.

Mesoraco's heads-up defense

That made it clear to Mesoraco he could not continue to play with a tear in his shoulder, and the decision to have surgery was made easier.

"I have a complete posterior tear of my labrum," he said. "Basically, it's not going to feel right. It's going to be difficult to take swings that aren't painful. It made the most sense."

Since Mesoraco stopped playing last week, Tucker Barnhart has stepped into the primary catcher's job while Ramon Cabrera was called up on Monday from Triple-A Louisville to be the backup.

Over 16 games this season, Mesoraco was batting .140/.218/.160 with no homers and one RBI.

"You guys all know what it would feel like in that situation, to have a kid who worked so hard to come back and be ready to play and get himself back out on the field and have a setback that has really nothing to do with the previous injury," Reds manager Bryan Price said.

Bailey resumes throwing
Reds pitcher Homer Bailey, who is trying to come back after Tommy John surgery, resumed throwing on Friday by playing catch in the outfield. It was the first throwing activity for Bailey since April 26, when he experienced some ulnar nerve irritation while pitching for Double-A Pensacola on a rehab assignment.

"It went fine," Price said. "He's not a day away from jumping back on the mound, but it was a step in the right direction."

Mark Sheldon has covered the Reds for MLB.com since 2006, and previously covered the Twins from 2001-05. Read his blog, Mark My Word, follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon and Facebook and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.