Martinez's lawyer disputes lawsuit allegations

ST. LOUIS -- The lawyer for Carlos Martinez has told TMZ that allegations in a lawsuit against the Cardinals right-hander "are 100 percent false."

A woman has filed a lawsuit against Martinez claiming he gave her sexually transmitted diseases, TMZ reported Saturday. The Cardinals were made aware of the lawsuit earlier this week and gave Martinez permission to travel to southern Florida to deal with the personal issue on Friday. He rejoined the team ahead of Saturday's game against the Nationals.

The woman, who stated that she has been involved with Martinez on and off since 2012, reportedly is seeking damages of more than $1.5 million for battery, negligent transmission of STDs and fraud.

"We are just learning of this matter," Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said on Saturday morning. "I was notified by Carlos' agent the other night. Until we learn more details, we will not be in a position to act until we have further information."

Martinez's next start for the Cardinals is scheduled for Sunday. The 24-year old is 4-0 with a 1.93 ERA in four starts this month.

Jenifer Langosch has covered the Cardinals for MLB.com since 2012, and previously covered the Pirates from 2007-11. Read her blog, By Gosh, It's Langosch, follow her on Twitter @LangoschMLB, like her Facebook page Jenifer Langosch for Cardinals.com and listen to her podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.