Tulo, Saunders held out with injuries

Shortstop expected back Saturday; outfielder day to day with sore hamstring

Tulo, Saunders held out with injuries

TORONTO -- Shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and outfielder Michael Saunders were both held out of the Blue Jays' lineup for Toronto's 8-5 loss to the A's on Friday due to injury.

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons says Tulowitzki is nursing a sore hip and is expected to be back in the lineup Saturday. The 31-year-old shortstop has struggled to produce offensively so far this season, hitting .150 with only three extra-base hits in 17 games. Ryan Goins got the start at shortstop, while Darwin Barney came off the bench to start at second base.

The timetable for Saunders is less certain. The team is calling him day to day with a sore hamstring. However, a lot will depend on how Saunders feels over the course of the weekend.

"I don't think it's a big deal, but I don't know that either," Gibbons said.

The 29-year-old has been a bright spot for the Blue Jays in the early going, hitting .321 with an .899 OPS, and he recently took over for outfielder Kevin Pillar in the leadoff spot.

Acquired from the Mariners before last season, Saunders played in just nine games for the Blue Jays in 2015 after a mensicus tear in Spring Training.

In his place, the Blue Jays started outfielder Ezequiel Carrera in left field for Friday's game.

Should Saunders' injury issues persist, Toronto does have options to take his place.

The Blue Jays signed outfielder Michael Bourn to a Minor League deal, pending a physical, earlier Friday, according to a source. Bourn has played parts of 10 seasons in the Majors and is expected to report to extended spring workouts.

The Blue Jays could also recall outfielder Dalton Pompey from Triple-A Buffalo. The 23-year-old has has hit .290 for the Bisons as their leadoff man and everyday left fielder.

Alykhan Ravjiani is a reporter for MLB.com based in Toronto. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.