Here's a look at how his start ranked historically:
• It was the seventh nine-inning game in history in which a pitcher had 16 strikeouts with no runs and no walks allowed.
• Only one other pitcher had allowed three hits, walked none and struck out as many batters: Roger Clemens, who fanned 18 Royals on Aug. 25, 1998, in a 3-0 win for the Blue Jays.
#THIS Velasquez tosses a gem
Velasquez tosses a gem with 16 K's #THIS
Complete game, 16 strikeouts, no walks... Not a bad day at the office for Vince Velasquez
• The only other active pitcher with a 16-strikeout, zero-walk shutout:
Max Scherzer, who fanned 17 on Oct. 3, 2015.
• Velasquez's 16 strikeouts were the most by a Phillies pitcher since Cliff Lee had 16 on May 6, 2011.
Lee's 16 strikeouts
ATL@PHI: Lee strikes out a career-high 16 batters
5/6/11: Cliff Lee strikes out a career-high 16 batters in seven solid innings against the Braves
• The only other Phillies pitcher with 15-plus strikeouts and no walks in a game: Curt Schilling on Sept. 1, 1997, against the Yankees (16 strikeouts).
• Velasquez's 25 strikeouts are the most by a pitcher in his first two Phillies starts since at least 1913. Jim Bunning had held the previous mark with 20 in 1964.
• Velasquez's 16 strikeouts were the most in a shutout by a Phillies pitcher since Art Mahaffey had 17 on April 23, 1961.
• Velasquez's gem gave the Phillies three shutouts in their first 10 games for first time since 1954.
is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at Cash Kruth @cashkruth. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.