Giants send down Susac in final spring cut

Giants send down Susac in final spring cut

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The Giants reached the 25-man Opening Day roster limit by announcing after Monday's 7-3 exhibition loss to Arizona that catcher Andrew Susac had been optioned to Triple-A Sacramento.

Trevor Brown, who has impressed the Giants since he thrived during a late-season promotion last September, will begin the season as the team's backup catcher. Brown owns a .324 spring batting average and had been paired more recently in recent weeks with veteran pitchers, an apparent sign that the Giants wanted to prepare him to work with the pitching staff in the regular season.

Manager Bruce Bochy clearly stated that Brown won the job on his own merits, not by default through Susac's sore right wrist.

"In fairness to Brownie, he played very well," Bochy said. "He's got more confidence that he can handle the staff and provide some offense."

Brown's RBI double

Susac entered big league camp as the favorite to claim the No. 2 catching spot. But he reinjured his wrist, which required season-ending surgery last Sept. 5. He recovered in time to participate in fielding drills and batting practice last week, and he even caught Matt Cain and had three plate appearances earlier Monday in a Minor League exhibition.

The Giants had more time to finalize their roster. But Bochy didn't want Susac, who hit .217 in Cactus League play, to waste his efforts.

"I thought was important for him to know what his status was," Bochy said.

Chris Haft is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Haft-Baked Ideas, follow him on Twitter at @sfgiantsbeat and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.