"There's no reason to do anything different than I've done," Murphy said. "I don't really want to jumble my head with all the 'what ifs' because I think judging by the last few weeks of the offseason there's probably six, seven, eight different locations that I thought I was going to and meeting up with a team for Spring Training, and [I] obviously wound up here. So it was just kind of stressful on a day-to-day basis."
• Spring Training: Schedule | Tickets | More info
Murphy's preference is to be on a Major League roster.
"Holding out hope that I end up here," Murphy said. "But all the same, like I've mentioned, I'd like a big league job somewhere. Just going to keep getting my work in because Opening Day's coming up quickly."
The 34-year-old and 2003 first-round pick has appeared in 14 spring games. Murphy has made eight starts in the outfield, all in left, but he hasn't started in the field since March 18. He has entered three games as a defensive replacement. Murphy has been in the starting lineup just twice since March 18, both times serving as the designated hitter.
Murphy split 2015 between the Indians and Angels, batting .283 with a .318 on-base percentage and a .421 slugging percentage. In parts of 10 Major League seasons with the Red Sox, Rangers, Indians and Angels, he has hit .274/.333/.432 playing all three outfield positions.
• Manager John Farrell said catcher Christian Vazquez, who is coming back from Tommy John surgery he underwent in April 2015, will either go to Triple-A Pawtucket or stay in Fort Myers when camp breaks. He will not go to Cleveland for Opening Day.
• Third baseman Pablo Sandoval has been sidelined since Thursday with lower back stiffness. He took batting practice on Saturday. Farrell hopes to get Sandoval into a game on Tuesday.
• Left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez suffered a subluxation of his right knee on Feb. 27 and will not be ready for Opening Day. He threw a 40-pitch bullpen session on Saturday. The team hopes he can progress to facing hitters.
• Reliever Koji Uehara, who has been sidelined with general soreness, is expected to pitch in Monday's game.