DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Troy Tulowitzki and the Blue Jays appear to have avoided a potential disaster, as the star shortstop arrived to the field Thursday morning feeling "great" despite getting hit on the hand the day before.
Tulowitzki was struck on the right hand by a fastball from Bartolo Colon during a 3-1 victory over the Mets on Wednesday afternoon. X-rays were negative and he was diagnosed with a bone bruise between the first and second knuckles of his hand.
The 31-year-old Tulowitzki is currently listed as day to day and will not be in jeopardy of missing the start of the season, but for a brief period of time on Wednesday, there were concerns about something far more serious.
"Luckily, everything is OK," Tulowitzki told reporters Thursday morning. "I feel great today. I think the plan is take today off and then tomorrow get back into the cage, see how it feels and then play."
The injury could have been severe, but instead, it is a minor issue that might linger for a few days but should be fine after that. Tulowitzki underwent various forms of treatment Thursday, and while appearing in a game the following day might be a little too optimistic, the hand won't keep him out for long.
That's a very encouraging development for a team that is still without the services of Edwin Encarnacion. Toronto's veteran designated hitter is scheduled to take batting practice on Friday, but he has yet to appear in a game this spring because of an abscessed tooth and a strained oblique.
Tulowitzki had been enjoying a strong spring prior to the injury. He unveiled a new batting stance at the beginning of camp that includes a leg kick, and the early returns have been positive. Tulowitzki is hitting .281 with four home runs, 10 RBIs and a 1.035 OPS in 32 at-bats.
"I think right now everybody is dragging a little bit, but at the same time, we try to, every time we take the field, we try to have some purpose to it," Tulowitzki said. "I think we're all excited to get the season going."