'Pumped up' Edgin pitches in Minor League game

Reliever eyeing early May return; Goeddel also works an inning

'Pumped up' Edgin pitches in Minor League game

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Josh Edgin understandably had trouble sleeping Saturday night because Sunday was an important day for the Mets left-handed reliever.

Edgin pitched in a live game Sunday for the first time since he had Tommy John surgery a little more than a year ago that caused him to miss the entire 2015 season. Even though it was a Minor League game on one of the back fields at Tradition Field, Edgin said it felt like a milestone game for him.

"Yeah, it's what, a year and five days or a year and three days or however long it's been since I've been on a mound? It's pretty nice," Edgin said following his short outing, which lasted one inning and 16 pitches and included three strikeouts and one hit batter. "I felt pretty good. Kind of pumped up. A little erratic, but it felt good."

Spring: Tickets | Ballpark | 40-man roster | NRIs

Edgin said that he still needs to sharpen his mechanics, but he's targeting an early May return to the Mets' bullpen.

"Next step is same thing, another game situation somewhere along the line here pretty soon," Edgin said. "There's been no setbacks yet. I don't know exact dates, but I'm feeling good, feel on track. I had a lot of adrenaline going [Sunday]. I shouldn't be as amped up [for the next game] as I was today, but I didn't sleep very well last night. I was pretty pumped up."

Sunday also was a big day for another Mets reliever, right-hander Erik Goeddel, who has yet to appear in a Grapefruit League game while nursing a strained right lat muscle he sustained early in Spring Training while throwing a light bullpen session.

Goeddel threw 14 pitches in one inning of work in the same Minor League game that Edgin pitched.

"Felt good to be on the mound again, like a baseball player finally after sitting around watching everyone all spring," Goeddel said. "Ball felt pretty good coming out of my hand. Felt location was pretty good, which was a big deal. First time out there [this spring], it was a good first step for sure."

Goeddel said he was surprised that an injury that initially didn't seem like anything serious has taken so long to heal.

"When it first happened, I threw a few more pitches afterward, thinking, 'Oh, that's a weird tweak,'" Goeddel recalled of the day it happened about a month ago. "Told everyone about it, thought I'd be back [on the mound] in a couple days. Next thing you know, it's four weeks or something. But it feels good now, so hopefully it's behind me and move forward from here."

Goeddel knows the clock is ticking on Opening Day and Mets manager Terry Collins didn't commit to Goeddel being in the bullpen for the start of the season.

"It's really difficult to say right now," Collins said. "We're hoping to get him in a game on Wednesday. Can we have enough time? We'll have to see."

Steve Dorsey is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.