• Rangers Spring Training info
"He is a serious prospect," Rangers manager Jeff Banister said. "I was impressed with everything Kellin did this spring. I was more impressed with the body of work behind the plate, blocking balls and throwing. ... He looked the part. He is a left-handed hitter with power.
"My suggestion to him was to go down and really bear down on the defensive side. Be the best defensive catcher he can be, catching and blocking, understanding the nuances of calling a game. That's what he needs. He has a skill set to play at this level."
Jaye, 24, is a right-handed starter acquired from the White Sox for left-handed reliever Will Lamb on Dec. 10. He was 12-9 with a 3.29 ERA in 26 starts at Double-A last season and will likely be in the Triple-A rotation at Round Rock.
Jaye pitched a scoreless inning in a B game against the White Sox on Saturday.
Williams, who was a catcher in college, was an 11th-round pick in 2014 and was invited to camp after a strong season at Class-A Hickory. He was 5-0 with a 2.28 ERA in 29 games and opponents hit .188 off him.
• Ryan Rua played first base for the first time this spring in Saturday's 14-5 win over the Athletics. Rua came to camp as a left-field candidate, but the Rangers are also looking for a right- handed hitting backup first baseman. They have been using Justin Ruggiano over there as well.
• The Rangers also used veteran infielder Pedro Ciriaco in center.
• Reliever Shawn Tolleson, behind in camp because of lower back stiffness, threw 20 pitches to live hitters on Saturday morning. Tolleson continues to report no issues with the back and is getting closer to pitching in a Cactus League game.
• Second baseman Rougned Odor (sore right oblique muscle) and first baseman Ike Davis (mildly sprained right knee) remain day to day. Odor swung a bat off soft toss on Saturday.
• Josh Hamilton has been confined to do his rehabilitation work in the hydro-therapy pool and has not yet resumed baseball activities.
• Derek Holland pitches against the Angels on Sunday in Tempe. Sam Dyson, Anthony Ranaudo, Jake Diekman and Jose Leclerc are also scheduled to pitch. Chi Chi Gonzalez starts Monday against the Indians in Tempe.
• Nomar Mazara has hit in six straight games.
• Colby Lewis allowed two runs in four innings in a B game against the White Sox. He allowed seven hits, walked two and struck out four.
• Ryan Cordell was 2-for-2 with a home run in the B game, and Lewis Brinson was 2-for-3.