The New Year is starting off right for seven area schools selected to receive a special visit from the Phillies - either for their reading achievements in the Phillies Be a Phanatic About Reading program presented by Comcast, or their excitement to get fit in an interactive Phillies Phitness program presented by NovaCare Rehabilitation.
Overall, 100,000 students take part in the above programs, but only top participants receive a Phillies visit.
PHILLIES JANUARY SCHOOL VISITS
St. Francis Xavier School - Philadelphia, PA (Be a Phanatic About Reading)
Hurfville School - Sewell, NJ (Be a Phanatic About Reading)
East Vincent School - Spring City, PA (Be a Phanatic About Reading)
St. Monica School - Philadelphia, PA (Be a Phanatic About Reading)
Brainerd Elementary School - Mt Holly, NJ (Phillies Phitness)
McKinley Elementary School - Philadelphia, PA (Phillies Phitness)
St. Anthony of Padula - Philadelphia, PA (Be a Phanatic About Reading)
ABOUT Phillies Be A Phanatic About Reading Visits:
Be a Phanatic About Reading presented by Comcast encourages children in grades K-8 to improve their literacy skills by reading at least 15 minutes a day.
- The Phillie Phanatic will make special visits to the top performing schools in the program. The Phanatic will act out one of the books from his children's book series with help from the students and faculty for a fun-filled assembly.
- Participating classrooms receive pencils, bookmarks and posters to use as incentives. Teachers record students' progress on an evaluation form, which will be a factor in deciding which schools receive a visit from the Phanatic.
- On Saturday, May 21, the Phillies will select five Most Outstanding Readers and five Most Improved Readers to be honored during the annual Comcast Be a Phanatic About Reading Night. All fans 14 and under will receive a copy of the Phanatic's newest book in his children's series courtesy of Comcast. In addition, new and gently-used children's books will be collected at all gates to benefit Philadelphia Reads.
- For more information please visit http://mlb.mlb.com/phi/community/phanatic_reading.jsp or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT Phillies Phitness Visits:
From getting in shape to staying healthy, students will join their school's physical education teacher, Phillies front office staff and NovaCare Rehabilitation trainers for a unique interactive program designed to put the "phun" into fitness.
- Students take part in various activities including relay races, jumping rope and ladder drills. All participants will receive a Phillies Phitness wristband, magnet and jump rope.
- Tri-state area students taking part in this interactive fitness program are learning about steps they can take now to help ensure a healthy future.
- Children from kindergarten through high school learn about the importance of being active through both exercise and activities that they take part in everyday as well as the importance of making smart food choices. Registrations are still being accepted for the remainder of the school year.
- On Tuesday, August 30, the Phillies will honor top participants at the Phillies Phitness Night at Citizens Bank Park. The evening will also include activities and information around the ballpark provided by NovaCare Rehabilitation.
- For more information please visit http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/phi/community/phitness/index.jsp or e-mail email@example.com.