NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The White Sox have presented three special opportunities to bid on as part of the Winter Meetings charity auction organized by Major League Baseball, MLB Advanced Media, MLB Network and the 30 clubs for a fourth straight year.
This auction initiative has raised nearly $500,000 since its inception four years ago, and a significant portion of the proceeds from this year's event will go to Stand Up To Cancer, a longtime partner of Major League Baseball, its founding donor in 2008. In addition, this year's auction will benefit Do It For Durrett, in honor of the late Texas Rangers ESPN.com reporter Richard Durrett, who passed away suddenly last year, and the YouCaring page established for Miami Marlins Sun Sentinel beat writer Juan C. Rodriguez, who is currently battling a brain tumor.
White Sox items include A Day at the Ballpark with No. 3, in which the winning bid gets to spend time with White Sox legend Harold Baines. Four game tickets in the Home Plate Club, watching batting practice from the field with Baines and an autographed Baines jersey stands as part of this package.
• Bid now
The White Sox Spring Training Experience centers on enjoying a day at Camelback Ranch, the Arizona venue for the team, with special VIP experiences that include throwing out the first pitch. And the White Sox VIP centers on similar special regular-season treatment with four tickets in the Magellan Scout Seats and an autographed Jose Abreu bat.
The auction is live on MLB.com until Thursday at 8 p.m. CT. A few of the other items supporters can bid upon are:
• Tour the 9/11 Museum with former MLB All-Star John Franco.
• Hike Camelback Mountain and have brunch with Arizona Diamondbacks All-Star A.J. Pollock.
• Brew beer with Minnesota Twins All-Star closer Glen Perkins.
• Roundtrip flight and hotel to New York Mets Spring Training to be a part of the team's weight room workout program and watch a game.
• Golf with All-Stars Max Scherzer of the Washington Nationals, Shelby Miller of the Atlanta Braves or former longtime Texas Rangers Darren Oliver and Steve Buechele.
• Texas Rangers exclusive gameday experience with members of the Durrett Foundation Board of Directors, including watching the game with Rangers president of baseball operations and general manager Jon Daniels.
• A Spring Training fishing trip with Tampa Bay Rays manager Kevin Cash and his coaching staff.
• Private batting lessons with MLB hitting coaches Chili Davis, Darnell Coles, Jeff Branson or Tom Brunansky, as well as with Mets Club Ambassador Mookie Wilson (including the chance to watch parts of Game Six of the 1986 World Series with him).
Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Merk's Works, follow him on Twitter @scottmerkin, on Facebook and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.