PHOENIX -- The D-backs made a six-year, $120 million offer to free-agent right-hander Johnny Cueto earlier this month that was turned down, a baseball source told MLB.com on Sunday night.
The club has not confirmed the offer.
Starting pitching is the D-backs' biggest need this offseason, and it was believed that they had money to spend. How much they were willing to spend was a question mark, but the offer to Cueto may shine some light on it.
With that in mind, the D-backs had hoped to add one, or maybe even two, proven starters to the rotation.
Right-hander Kenta Maeda, who is expected to be posted by his Japanese team, is someone the D-backs have had an eye on as well.
"We've scouted him," D-backs general manager Dave Stewart said last week of Maeda. "So he would have to be in consideration. I would think that overall we feel it's going to help our team. He could be another option."