Rumor roundup: Freeman will likely stay put

Rumor roundup: Freeman will likely stay put

A few more free agents came off the market Tuesday, with Brandon Crawford signing a six-year deal to return to San Francisco and Cliff Pennington joining the Angels. But there's still plenty left to resolve this offseason, with more signings and trades on the horizon.

Here's a look at some of the top Hot Stove stories from around the big leagues:

Freeman staying put
Freddie Freeman likely won't be turning in his Braves uniform any time soon. Atlanta manager Fredi Gonzalez said Tuesday in an interview on MLB Network Radio that the Braves won't be trading the 26-year-old first baseman this offseason.

With Atlanta selling off numerous assets over the last year -- including shortstop Andrelton Simmons, outfielders Jason Heyward and Justin Upton, closer Craig Kimbrel and starter Alex Wood -- rumors of Freeman being next had begun to spread.

But Gonzalez put much of that speculation to rest Tuesday, saying he believes Freeman will "absolutely" be with Atlanta come Opening Day.

"I just talked to [assistant general manager John Coppolella on Monday], and he said those rumors aren't true," Gonzalez said. "We've never even entertained the idea. I'm sure people have called him about it, and he's doing his job. He's listening. You've got to listen in case somebody just absolutely knocks your socks off."

Freeman's go-ahead homer

Ortiz entering final season
The next season will reportedly be the last for Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, who is apparently set to retire at the end of 2016.

FOXSports.com was the first to break the news, noting that Ortiz will announce his retirement plan Wednesday. Neither the Red Sox nor Ortiz has confirmed the report.

Ortiz, 40, is under contract for $16 million next season, with a club option for $10 million in 2017. In September, the 19-year veteran became the 27th player all-time to reach 500 home runs. He's batting .284/.378/.547 through 2,257 career games.

Browne on Ortiz retirement news

Fernandez not on the block
Despite an initial report, Jose Fernandez does not appear to be on his way out of Miami this offseason. Multiple sources told MLB.com's Joe Frisaro that the Marlins have no intention of moving their young ace at the moment. Miami's focus this winter remains on adding pitching depth behind Fernandez.

Fernandez, the 2013 National League Rookie of the Year, is under contract through the '18 season, removing any urgency to trade him. The 23-year-old made just 11 starts this year coming off Tommy John surgery. He made his debut on July 2 but then landed back on the disabled list for a month on Aug. 11 with a right biceps strain. He went 6-1 with a 2.92 ERA through 64 2/3 innings.

Fernandez strikes out nine Rays

Hill signs with Oakland
Free agent lefty Rich Hill is reportedly set to join the Athletics for the 2016 season, pending a physical. Baseball Essential's Robert Murray was the first to report the news, while Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports tweeted the terms of the deal at one-year, $6 million.

Hill, 35, has played parts of 11 seasons in the Majors, most recently with the Boston Red Sox. He went 2-1 with a 1.55 ERA through four starts as a September callup last season.

Hill's 10-K, two-hit shutout

Chad Thornburg is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.