The San Francisco Giants, in partnership with the Mayor's Office, Department of Recreation and Parks, Giants Community Fund, San Francisco Little League, San Francisco Youth Baseball League, San Francisco Parish and School Baseball League, and the Good Tidings Foundation, today announced the formation of the San Francisco Play Ball Collaborative dedicated to providing quality youth baseball and softball instruction, programs and facilities accessible to all San Francisco children and families.
The Play Ball Collaborative is part of Major League Baseball's Play Ball initiative that is working to promote the fun nature of the game and to grow youth participation in baseball and softball related activities throughout the nation.
The Collaborative is made up of those organizations and leagues that provide access to baseball and softball instruction throughout the City. Specifically, the collaborative will work together to achieve the following goals:
- Provide top quality youth baseball and softball programs and facilities in San Francisco.
- Provide access to children and families from throughout the city - regardless of their ability to pay.
- Serve as champions of youth baseball and softball programs and facilities for San Francisco.
- Grow youth baseball and softball participation in San Francisco.
- Coordinate efforts between leagues to ensure that any child who wants to play can access a youth baseball or softball program.
To kick off the partnership, the SF Play Ball Collaborative will host a free festival, rain or shine, for children and families interested in learning more about baseball and softball opportunities in San Francisco on Sunday, November 8 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Palega Recreation Center. All abilities are encouraged to participate. For more information on the San Francisco Play Ball Collaborative please visit http://playball.org/sanfrancisco or http://sfgiants.com/playballsf.
The festival will include baseball and softball skills stations coordinated by the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation, baseball/softball league information, food trucks, giveaways, photo opportunities with the three World Series Trophies, and a special appearance from Giants alumni Randy Winn.
Where: Palega Recreation Center - 500 Felton St, San Francisco
When: November 8th
Time: 11:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.