MLB.com Columnist

Bill Ladson

Harper, Ramos named Gold Glove finalists

Harper, Ramos named Gold Glove finalists

WASHINGTON -- Nationals right fielder Bryce Harper and catcher Wilson Ramos are finalists for the 2015 Rawlings National League Gold Glove Awards. The winners will be revealed Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.

Hitting isn't the only reason that Harper is a favorite to take home the NL's Most Valuable Player Award. It seem like every game he would make a great running catch. Don't forget baserunners dare not run on Harper's arm.

VOTE NOW: Esurance MLB Awards Best Defensive Player

According to Stats Inc., Harper ranked third among NL outfielders in range factor per nine innings (2.07) and putouts per nine (2.01).

One of Harper's best defensive games came on May 24 against the Phillies. In the seventh inning, after Odubel Herrera singled, Cameron Rupp blooped what looked like a single to right field, but Harper grabbed the ball on a hop and threw out Herrera for the force at second.

Harper's strong throw

"If I'm not hitting, I don't want them to get a hit either," Harper said then. "It's the little things that I keep in my head that keeps me going out there, keep me in the game. I want to make some plays and help this team win."

Besides Harper, Curtis Granderson (Mets) and Jason Heyward (Cardinals) are finalists for the right-field category.

Ramos caught two no-hitters, both from Max Scherzer, in the same season. Ramos led NL catchers with a career-best 36.2 caught-stealing percentage, throwing out 17 of 47 potential basestealers. The 17 baserunners thrown out were his highest since 2011, when he threw out 19.

Ramos nabs Simmons

According to FanGraphs.com, Ramos led NL catchers in defensive runs above average (11.2) and was tied for first with San Francisco's Buster Posey in defensive runs saved (9). He ranked second, behind Posey, in SABR's defensive index (8.6).

Posey and Yadier Molina (Cardinals) are the other finalists in the catcher's category.

Both Harper and Ramos would be first-time winners. The awards are determined by a survey of managers and coaches, which make up 75 percent of the voting, and the Society for American Baseball Research, which accounts for the other 25 percent.

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog, All Nats All theTime. He also can be found on Twitter @WashingNats. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.