Phillies to Honor Nation's Heroes with Patriotic Tribute on September 11
The Philadelphia Phillies will pay special tribute to our nation's heroes to commemorate the anniversary of September 11, 2001, prior to the second game of the double-header against the Cubs at Citizens Bank Park. The on-field salute will feature:
- State Flags Presentation: Philadelphia police officers and firefighters will carry the 50 state flags onto the field, accompanied by 50 members of the military.
- USAF Silent Drill Team will put on a 10 minute demonstration.
- Color Guard: An All-Service Color Guard will present the colors.
- Moment of Silence will be held in remembrance of all those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.
- God Bless America: performed by the USAF Heritage Brass directed by SSGT Manella.
- America the Beautiful: sung by SMSGT Ryan Carson, USAF with the USAF Band, Maxx Impact.
- Special lineup cards and base jewels will be used to commemorate the anniversary of September 11, 2001.
- All on-field personnel, including players, coaches and umpires, will have an American flag patch embroidered on the side of their caps.
- Chevrolet Award of Valor: 4 awards will be presented to police officers and firefighters for remarkable acts of heroism and for serving as role models in their communities.
- Third Inning: Hometown Heroes Base Change presented by Rothman Institute: changing the bases are first responders on September 11, 2001:
- Representing the Police Officers: Deputy Paul Bryant with K9 Don.
- Representing the Fire Fighters: SGT Greg Masi who also holds the rank of Chief with the fire department.
- Representatives of the Military.