BALTIMORE -- The Orioles used the first day of September callups to beef up their pitching, promoting right-hander Oliver Drake and Steve Johnson. They also reinstated Chaz Roe from the disabled list prior to Tuesday's game against the Rays.
While Johnson was on the taxi squad and arrived in Baltimore on Monday, Drake didn't find out until Monday night that he was being recalled to the Majors. It shouldn't have been a surprise. Drake went 23-for-23 in save opportunities and posted a 0.82 ERA in 42 games with Triple-A Norfolk this season.
"We talk a lot about Mychal Givens' year, but at the Triple-A level as opposed to the Double-A level, there's not many guys in baseball that had a better statistical year in the Minor Leagues than Oliver Drake," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "I'm excited for him."
The 28-year-old Drake had a 26-game scoreless streak from April 27-Aug. 6 with the Tides (26 innings), and he was selected to the Triple-A All-Star Game. He made his Major League debut on May 23 at Miami and pitched to a 3.52 ERA in five games with the Orioles this season.
"It's just one of those things, after having the taste already up here, coming back for the second time, there's more confidence in that," Drake said. "I'm just going to try to do what I did all season down in Triple-A, try to take the confidence I got from there and carry it over."
Roe pitched in a rehab game on Monday and will likely not be used on Tuesday unless there's extra innings. He had been on the DL with right shoulder tendinitis and has pitched to a 2-2 record with a 3.12 ERA in 28 games with the Orioles this season.