Socolovich optioned to Triple-A

Hatley designated for assignment to make room for Broxton

Socolovich optioned to Triple-A

ST. LOUIS -- The move to bring in veteran reliever Jonathan Broxton cost Miguel Socolovich his place in the Cardinals' bullpen and Marcus Hatley's his spot on the 40-man roster.

Hatley, who made two appearances for the Cardinals earlier this summer, was designated for assignment on Friday. Socolovich was optioned to Triple-A Memphis, as the Cardinals decided to stick with a seven-man bullpen for now.

Socolovich has been on the big league roster for most of the past three months. Signed as a Minor League free agent over the winter, the right-hander has done well pitching in key spots for the Cardinals. He's also given the club another long reliever option in addition to Carlos Villanueva.

The Cardinals urged Socolovich, who posted a 1.54 ERA over 21 games, to focus on improving his fastball command while back with the Triple-A club.

"Miguel, you see the times he got in trouble, it wasn't with putting away pitches because he's got a very good changeup, a very good slider that is completely confident in throwing in any count," manager Mike Matheny said. "It's just getting into bad counts by not making quality pitches with his heater. That's his goal more so than anything else."

Worth noting

• The Cardinals announced that they will hold their 2015 Hall of Fame induction ceremony at 2 p.m. CT on Aug. 15 at Fox Sports Midwest Live! in Ballpark Village. This year's class of inductees includes Ted Simmons, Bob Forsch, Curt Flood and George Kissell. Admission to the induction ceremony is free and open to the public.

• Matheny acknowledged that he has had two further discussions with right-hander Carlos Martinez regarding Martinez's on-field behavior in Thursday's game. Martinez irritated the Rockies by hitting DJ LeMahieu and then slamming his glove to the ground after inducing an inning-ending double play. As Martinez walked off the field, he flashed an inappropriate gesture toward the Colorado dugout.

The Cardinals have not heard from Major League Baseball regarding the incident, but do expect to at some point.

Jon Jay, who has been on the disabled list with a left wrist injury, has still not been cleared to resume swinging, and general manager John Mozeliak said that no timetable has been set as to when he might do so again.

Jenifer Langosch is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, By Gosh, It's Langosch, follow her on Twitter @LangoschMLB, like her Facebook page Jenifer Langosch for Cardinals.com and listen to her podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.